Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can anyone tell me about fit/feel/performance of the .45LC Rossi/Puma/M92(Taurus?)?

So far, the only lever I have found, in the configuration I want is the Rossi, such as this one:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976299089.htm

The only thing I am not thrilled about, just looking at this rifle, is the barrel bands, but I could maybe live with that. I would probably prefer Marlin (US construction) but they don't offer what I want, unless it is in a previous run through Davidson's, and then the price is fairly well up there.

Any takers?

·
Banned
65 Posts
I have shot two Rossis, one in .45 Colt and one in .454 Casull, just within the last two weeks. The .45 Colt was an older one without the safety on top and it functioned and shot well. Accuracy was very good out to 50 yards (the limits of where we were shooting). The .454 Casull was awsome! Recoil wasn't bad, but it had a serious "thump" downrange and was very accurate. The only thing I didn't care for was the wierd safety on top of the receiver, other than that, it was real nice. The sites on both were nice and they are based on the Model '92 Winchester action and were smooth.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply, I am looking to make a 45 my 0 to 125yd woods rifle, to pair with a 45LC revolver. I already have the open spaces 30.06.

I also would like to ask: What is the big deal with Octagonal barrels? Stability? Nostalgia? I saw one in 24", and would bet I could get a good "thump" downrange with a slow powder, but I really don't care for the looks. I know that is dumb, and asthetics should not be put before function. Just don't care for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
rossi lever

I have a Navy Arms 92 in .45 Colt. They are/were made by Rossi. Mine shoots well, and functions smoothly. If the lever throw is not firm, it may bind up, but it's getting better as time goes on. I have had the Marlin 94, and have a couple of Wichester 94s. It's a matter of preference to me, I don't see where one is remarkedly better. The Marlin seems heavier duty, but the checkering turns some of the cowboy shooter's off. I'm pleased with mine. Dan

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What style rifling is in your NA?

·
Registered
7 Posts
rossi lever

Not really sure. I checked the Navy Arms site, and found no reference. Maybe someone here could help, or SASS might be or service. Sorry, not much help, Dan

·
Super Moderator
9,457 Posts
The Rossi (now Taurus) got a lot better in the last few years...not that the old ones were all that bad, just a bit rough internally. The later efforts were as well finished on the inside as on the outside. Only a couple of complaints about mine in .45Colt (also onwed one of the old ones in .357mag.):
1. Whatever it is they stain/finish the wood with is a bit "muddy". With just a bit of effort, can make the stock look better (and if you want the old-stype Winchester look, want a bit of red/orange in the stain).
2. The front sight is on the front barrel band...the band is fixed by a small screw that runs between the mag. tube and the barrel. It can get loose, the band can rotate a bit, and your shooting goes to ****. Degrease, loc-tite (the softer type)...if yu need to take it off, can heat it.
----------
The .45LC version hasn't been particular about what it will shoot well...many loads have earned good accuracy. Not 1/2 bad with BP either.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Just put a 454 Rossi on order today should have it in a week.
Been wanting to get a match for my SRH. From what I heard
else where on other posts this should be an excellant Elk/Bear stopper!! Ran some balistics on it an with my 300gr
WFN's an should see about 2000fps and 2800 Ft lbs at ME.
With hundred yd zero it shold be good out to 225 or so with plenty of thump for anything I want to hunt. I'll get some chrono data on my loads and let you folks know.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all your replies! ribbonstone, what style of rifling is in your .45?

The limited editions of the Marlin has the 20" barrel, but it's micro-groove, and if I am not mistaken, the 92 action may be the stronger action of the two. Does anyone know this to be true?

·
Super Moderator
9,457 Posts
Standard lands and grooves...not micro-groove or anything odd. Rifle seems to prefer .452" Jacketed bullets, but I norally shoot 250gr. Lead FN at a simple 1250fps. Know the rifle can shoot hotter loads, but 250gr. @ 1250 has come out of the off side of the deer I've shot, and with a hard cast SWC that really is all that one can ask of it.

Not one to run a round to the absolute max.; philosophy being that if you have to hot-load a round to get the performance you want, what you really need is a larger caliber. God argument now that the .454 version are out...if I needed that level of perfomance, I'd buy the .454 rather than hot-load a .45LC (esp. in your casr where you want to use the same ammo in the rifle and revovler).
-----
going to have one problem...finding a good load that works well in BOTH the revovler and the rifle. Have found many that work well in one or the other, but getting both of them to agree is sometimes a bit difficult.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply, I like everything you have to say about the Rossi in .45. I don't know that it was so much same cartridge for both rifle and pistol, as much as same reloading hardware. I will get a 45/70 in the future (maybe) but I want to start off my handloading experience with one common set, get used to that, then maybe move on to others.

Let me ask you this: do you know of any issues that arise from heat (from shooting a few strings) of the barrel and effect cool barrel bands may have on it?

Thanks again.

PS - I am not looking to load up a 45 Colt to extreme pressures, I do so like playing devil's advocate, and have a few aquaintences that think the .44 Mag is to die for, (I don't think there is anything wrong with the .44) and I dearly want to demonstrate the eqivalence, and beyond (with LESS pressure). And, I happen to like the round for nostalgic reasons as well.

·
Super Moderator
9,457 Posts
Most of the lever guns (at least the ones with a tube mag.) will have contact between the barrel and the mag. tube in two or three places. For the Rossi, there is the front band (where the front sight is located) the fore-end band...those you can see...there is probably also hard contact between the tube and the barrel right where it enters the reciever. There is also the end cap of the mag. tube, which is held in by a screw that fits into a dimple on the barrel...so tht's a total of 4 places of contact (and damn-all you can do about them).

It's going to heat and expand a bit unevenly, so when it does get hot, not unexpected for the rounds to "walk" a bit...then again, your friend's .44's will generate more/faster heating and they will face the same problems.

One thing seldom mentioned about heavy weight barrels...while they heat more slowly, they also cool down more slowly.

Keep it simple...good lead bullets (plain based) that fir the bore well will shoot fine, and penetrate more meat than your buddies hot loaded JHP .44's.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very good, thank you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts