Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this revolver in a gun store and due to it's slim profile and inexpensive price tag, i purchased it. $367 and change for the gun a box of .357, and a box of .38 spcl. otd. I figured it would be a decent hiking trail gun. I loaded up some 150 grn swc with unique and winchester primers (38 spcl) and opened the back door and fired a cylinder full at a target i had set up, and the ancient on the hammer firing pin almost pierced the primers! It has a coil spring typical of modern revolvers, should i shorten the coil spring a bit to solve the problem? Or is the firing pin possibly a bit too long? it's a cheap gun and i only purchased it for hiking or camping, never with the intent of relying on it for sd, and i sure don't want to put a dime in it just to make it shootable.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I will be blunt... you've already put too much money into a barely acceptable handgun. Throw it in a tackle box and get something reliable.

i only purchased it for hiking or camping, never with the intent of relying on it for sd
I do not understand this statement unless you mean you simply plink with it while hiking and camping. Anything else is self-defense in one form or another.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ever figure out what the deal was with the pierced primers? I have a Rossi 462 (2" bbl. .357) and have never had any problems with it.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Exactly what do you mean by "almost pierced"? A good, healthy lick may be no problem at all unless the primers are actually being holed.

·
Banned
103 Posts
bought one a little while back..after trying two ,both taken back within 2 weeks..
the gun store manager quit selling rossi snubs..he also gave me a sig 225 9 mil, to compensate me for my trouble..
the rossi was 357 but i never shot anything but 38 +p..gods country in albemarle n.c. went the exstra mile to do the right thing..
i know others with better experiences with rossis ..this was just mine.
i have an old rossi 38 special w 4 inch barrel, that i like just fine..

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ran a couple hundred handloads through this gun a couple of weeks ago, and there were no problems with primer piercing. I assume the problem was soft primers. I also realized the gun is pretty darn accurate too!

·
Registered
237 Posts
My Colt and Smith and Wesson 38sp revolvers are reamed out to 357 mag and shoot only 357 mag over loads.

My Taurus Model 650 hammerless stainless steel 5-shot, 2-inch .357 [similar to Rossi junk] I load with 38 special loads, because anything more will jam it.

What does it all mean?
There seems to be a poor correlation between what is a revolver's capability and what is etched on the side; 357 mag or 38 special.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts