Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading Marshall's tech note on the 30-06 using buckshot for plinking got me wondering - has anybody ever tried .44 or .45 round balls for the .444 or .45-70?

I think James wrote of using them for his .44 mag though I can't remember the details. Would be a great way to improve marksmanship and handling by using the big gun on rabbits etc.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Find a copy of George Nonte's book, Handloading.
He covers all this in there.
You can put two or three round balls in a 45-70 case. It gets a bit exciting because you don't know if you will get three projectiles, two or one. They may fuse together. I think a lubed felt wad between powder and first ball, with lube biscuit between the first and second then between the second and third with lube smeared across the case mouth.
It was a fun experiment. As I remember I got as high as 8 - 10 grains of Unique before I got distracted by a cute little filly who became my second wife. I should have stuck with the experimenting, much more productive.
Jim

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
It certainly can be applied to other cartridges!  And to some great satisfaction as well, I might add.

As to the .444 and round ball loads, that information will be posted soon in .444 Marlin- America's Most Versatile Big Bore Part V a section that will be devoted to specialty loads in the .444 Marlin.  Great stuff!

More later!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
3 Posts
I saw this in my lyman book, for the 45/70.  I decided to try it in my 450 Marlin. I went and got .459 roundballs, and put 12 gr.( I think it was 12, would have to check my book to be sure) of unique and a 1 gr dacron wad behind 3 round balls. I weighed them and if I remember correctly they were 143 gr each. loads feed into the magazine fine, and if you don't work the lever too quickly chamber fine. If you rack one too quickly the rim hangs a little, but I never caused any case damage. Off the bench, I was able to keep all 3 round balls on the target out to 50 yards. At 75 I would sometimes get 3 on the paper, sometimes 3. I started shooting jackrabbits with it and it pounds them. Fun load, almost no recoil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts