Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got a list or reference for the size buckshot that fits the following calibers, if any, and the weight. And if you do load do you use a standard powder or always drop back to a gallery load or such?

30 caliber .308

38 caliber .358

.32 caliber .312

Thanks in advance. Seems like a tec note or something on here somewhere. I am looking.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Buckshot loads

No. 1 buckshot is nominally .30 cal. and can be used for light galery loads in the .32 S&W Long,. etc. For best results the buckshot should measure .310-.314", you may have better luck with cast round balls. You can use 00 buck. nominally .33" if you run them through a .311-.312 sizer die.

000 buck are approximately .35 caliber and can be used in the .38 Special and .357 Mag. but you will get better results if you cast your own fom a .360 mould.

The round balls have a short gearing surface and won't stand heavy loads. About 2 grs. of Bullseye is good in the .32 S&W Long, about 3 grs. in the.38 Special and about 4 grs. in most ruifle cartridges like th e.30-30 or .35 Remngton for small game loads.

·
Super Moderator
9,457 Posts
Ed has it right, but have had good results with LESS powder. Bag buck shot isn't all that round, but Hornady sells 5 pound bags (actaully, the bag comes packed in a box) and they are truely round.

My loads seat the ball flush with the top of the cass and lube smeared into the sapce between the ball and the case mough. I usually just add a single drop of liquid alox and tooth pick it around the edge...lubes and seals from moisture at the same time. Nearly any type of lube will works...even wheel bearing grease or Criso (after all, we are talking about low velcoity).
----------
Back about 30 years agao, I would spend a good bit of time in a drom room, depriming with a filed nail, priming with a putty knife, charging cases with a .22LR case glued to a bent paper clip, and seating with a wooden block. Money was hard to come by (and what I had went for tuition, books). Worked fine, killed a bit of small game, and truck loads of beer cans.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts