Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help on what to do. I have about 60 rounds of 7mm that will not chamber - have to jam the bolt very hard to get them to chamber. They have a slight factory crimp, so seating them further causes copper scraping on bullet (i tried).
1. I pulled one, and the brass measured 2.485, would triming to 2.483 (primer intact) be okay?

2. Would you neck size the case?

3. Would you primer fire them at the range? (This is a custom gun and I read primer firing is highly corrosive). Could I do this?

4. I have another 40 pieces of brass at 2.487, just trim them down also?

Usually I just throw away, or give. Bad time of year to waste 30 / 40 dollars for some new brass (that another gift I can put under the tree for the kids)

Any help I do apperciate! and thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sounds like your shoulder is too far forward to me. The case length is fine per Speer Manual 13.
With the rifle custom, I suppose there is a chance the case length is too long, I doubt it is.
Guess I would give your FL die a lil bit more of a turn to move the shoulder back. See if that does the trick. If not, you could seat your bullet a little deeper, it may be touching the lands.
Todays primers are ok.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
That's where I'd start looking too, most of the time when these problems are posted a forward shoulder turns out to be the problem. Did the case chamber in the gun prior to loading it?

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I think we need more info. I ain't no custom rifle guy, but are these rifles sometimes very tight tolerances. I think I would ask the guy that did the rifle. He should know what your chamber dimensions are and what your ammo should be. If you are loading this ammo yourself, I would consider a casting of the chamber as an option. Has any of your ammo chambered in this rifle? I guess I am asking why you think the brass length is the problem? Is this brass that has been fired in this rifle before? Does the round that you dismantled chamber without a problem? Did you apply the crimp? Sometimes this can bulge a case at the neck? What is the source of the ammo? Don't be discouraged. We will get this fixed.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Make sure you are using the proper shell holder and it's made by the same manufactor as the die. I have run into problems mixing a different brand shell holder and die.

There is always a possibility you have a bad die. I have an old RCBS FL, 243 die that will not properly resize cases. If I pickup brass at the range that was not shot in the rifle I'm using it in, it will not chamber after resizing or if I try to resize some 308 or 260 brass to 243 in it, it will not chamber. I mainly use a collet die and neck size only so I rarely use it anyway. If they get a little tight going in, I can run them through the RCBS FL die and they do fine as long as they were shot in the rifle I'm loading them for.

Also, make sure you don't have the bullet seating die screwed down too far and hitting the crimp band in the die. Might try backing the die back out a few turns and adjusting the center adjustment down for the proper seating depth. As mentioned, this can make a slight bulge in the case.

As for resizing primed cases, I've done it many times, just take the primer punch out. I would NEVER trying it with a loaded case though. A popped primer will just make you jump, a loaded case can kill you or at the least get stuck in the die's neck sizer because it can't shrink it down with the bullet in it. Then you have a fully loaded bullet really stuck in sizing die.

·
Registered
273 Posts
It sounds like a shoulder problem to me also. I have a new Ruger Hawkeye stainless that has a tight chamber. I can't lock down the bolt unless I full resize or just use a neck size die, no middle ground. Mark the whole shoulder with felt marker if you can get the case that far and attempt to lock down bolt, this will show you if it hits. If you can't get it that far in you may need a smallbase die. Yes it is a good idea to match shell holder and die first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
get new brass ( at least one) if there still is a problem something is wrong with the rifle ( 7mm rounds are not to be fooled with) if no problem get new brass--their might be other problems with the rifle ( i know its obvious)

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
Need some help on what to do. I have about 60 rounds of 7mm that will not chamber - have to jam the bolt very hard to get them to chamber. They have a slight factory crimp, so seating them further causes copper scraping on bullet (i tried).
1. I pulled one, and the brass measured 2.485, would triming to 2.483 (primer intact) be okay?

2. Would you neck size the case?

3. Would you primer fire them at the range? (This is a custom gun and I read primer firing is highly corrosive). Could I do this?

4. I have another 40 pieces of brass at 2.487, just trim them down also?

Usually I just throw away, or give. Bad time of year to waste 30 / 40 dollars for some new brass (that another gift I can put under the tree for the kids)

Any help I do apperciate! and thanks
I assume from your measurements you are refering to the 7mm Rem Mag.

Is this correct?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes 7mm Rem Mag, Yes I do think it's shoulder or neck. The factory ammo I have chambers fine. Hart built the gun, and it puts factory ammo groups touching @100, and dependent upon how much coffee I drank.
Could I pull bullets and just fire them w/primer, or is this bad?

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Todays primers are not corrosive. You have to worry about this only with surplus military ammo. Even then, a quick cleaning and no problems. Firing the primers in this situation (after you've pulled the bullet and drained the powder) doesn't accomplish anything useful as there is no backpressure to conform the case to the chamber. On second thought, it will get rid of any powder hung up in the case so you don't end up in an overload situation when reloading those.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts