Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking For Suggestions/Opinions . . .

After a sabbatical of several years I'm planning on going after elk & deer this fall during Colorado's 2nd rifle season. I've decided to give my Ruger .308 M77 another years rest and I'm planning on purchasing a Ruger #1 in .45-70 to be my new hunting companion. I've always been intrigued by, but never owned, a rifle in this caliber. I find just looking down the bore when you open the action to be rather awe inspiring. Anyhow, here are my questions . . .

#1 I've read frequent posts that most of the used #1's you see advertised, regardless of caliber, are for sale because they just won't shoot straight. Is there truly that much of an accuracy problem with this rifle and if so, can't it be cured? New vs. used isn't a huge/show-stopper type consideration for me, but it is a consideration.

#2 Sights Does anyone have any real-world experience using a scout-type scope & fwd mount on the #1? My eyes just aren't what they once were (I'm 56) and I feel a 2x or 3x scope would help me out, regardless of where on the rifle it's mounted.

I'd certainly appreciate all opinions/help you folks would care to share on this topic.

Regards From Denver

Tony

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Tony..I am going to jump in here and I am sure others will also. It is true that Ruger No.1(and No.3) rifles can be tempermental at times with vertical stringing. Most of the time its due to a stupid shooter. These rifles, like fine double rifles, do not like to be rested on hard sand filled shooting bags. Many times the groups round out by simlpy putting youe hand between the forearm and bag! If the rifle still strings vertical, there are some proven recipes in Tech Notes on the home page. I have noticed that vertical stringing seems more in the smaller calibers, and don't remember one in .45-70 doing it. I have one .30-06 that shot 1" out of the box! all I do is bring the forearm screw back to a mark I made.
As for scopes...stay away from Scout scopes! The best game scope I've found for the Rugers is the 1x-4x Leupold. With 1x shots can be taken in the brush, etc and the croaahairs just seems to float out there. I'm 66 and if game is too far for a 4x I don't shoot. Remember, a 200 yard animal through the 4x lookd like a 50 yard shot with regular sights.
All in all, Ruger No.1's and No 3's are great rifles!
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
9 Posts
Maj K, I recently bought a used Ruger #1A (made in 1976) in .270 Win.  I'm in the process of domesticating it for this year's deer rifle season.  Shooting Remington 130 gr. pointed SPs at 40 yards (to get it on paper) the first group was under .5 inch.   So I'm not worried about what it will do at 150 or so.  Remember what Ross Seyfried says:  "200 yards is one helluva long way."  BTW, in a recent Rifle the same writer did a piece on the #1 and shows how to pillar it using the end of the mainspring.  He seems to think that will clear up any accuracy problems.  Have fun.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The Ruger single shots don't deserve all the negative praise they recieve sometimes. My #3 is a 45-70 that was just D&T for a scope 3yrs ago. It'll make some varminters jealous. It'll shoot under 2" at 200yds any time I'm capable. I tweaked the forearm with a .030" shim and reinstalled the barrel band. Make sure the ejector spring/mechanism isn't dragging on the wood forearm. Mine is not load sensitive. I use three different loads with the same scope setting. They'll go into a 1" three shot group at 100yds. Mixed or Matched. Get a Pachmayr decelorator pad and load it up. If you can find one of the older ones that were throated for the 500gr Hornady soft point, you really have a thumper. Mine was built in '75 and will accept a 3"col loading. I don't know when they shortened the throating back to SAAMI specs. I understand there were some 45-70's built as 1H Models that will go near 9#. Sir James Gates called the scope right as well. I like mine set at 2x for timber still hunting whitetail. Just the right amount of target definition, I feel.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I have 5 No. 1s, so it must not be too hard getting them to shoot well, and all of mine shoot under MOA.  In all honesty though, three of them were never shot until I had done a few modifications to them.  The other two, a .22-250 and a .300 Wby, were at oposite ends of the spectrum. The .22-250 was a tack driver from the get go, but still improved with free floating the barrel.  The .300, well, this is the one horror stories are made of.  Still, with a little work it too shoots quite well now.  My No.1 .45-70 was not shot before free floating the forend but it shoots like crazy.  I agree with the above poster, better to use a low powered scope than a scout.  I have a scout scope on another rifle and while it works just fine, I still like the traditionally mounted scope much better.  The best purpose for a scout type mounting is if you want a peep rear and a scope.  Usually the peep rear will not allow the scope to be mounted unless you move it forward, which is what I did on my scout scoped rifle.  The No. 1 will let you mount the scope to the rear, and you can always use the fold down irons for backup.  Use a set of QD rings like the Warne Premier Ruger rings and they will always return to zero.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hey Guys,

Ross Seyfried had and article in either "Rifle" or "Handloader" within the past year about his Ruger Number One.  It's chambered in a .22 wildcat, and gets six inch groups at 800 yards.  This is not a hard core target rifle.

El Lobo in NM

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Tony,

The Ruger No. 1 is a classic sporting arm from any angle.
It is no less inherently accurate than any equal number of bolt-actions. Like people, each rifle is an individual and sometimes quirky. One must treat them that way. The article on the No. 1 by Ross Seyfried appeared in RIFLE no. 191, the September 2000 issue. It is well worth the effort to obtain a copy.

Because of the quarter rib mounted on most Ruger No. 1's, "Scout scopes" are rather difficult to install. This type of optic requires ~8-10 inches of eye relief to work properly. Without extensive custom work on a No. 1 this couldn't be accomodated. In its place I would suggest one of the compact 2X, 2.5X, or 3X fixed-power scopes available from any number of optical manufacturers. I personally don't like variables for a number of reasons.
Properly mounted with the low Ruger rings, you will get the same "crosshairs in mid-air" effect of a Scout scope.
In my opinion a fixed, low-power scope mounted the right way is the best hunting optic available.

You may also want to consider the exquisite aperture sight available from New England Custom Gun Service. It mounts in the rear dovetail of the quarter rib, is fully adjustable, and is priced around &#36100. Sleek, compact, and fog-free. It may be the best option for your .45-70.

http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
I'll second Bill Lester's suggestion of the New England Custom Gun receiver sight!   It's a class act that allows installation, removal and reinstallation possible of the sight without losing zero.   The adjustments to the sight are made via allen wrenches and then are locked into place with set screws... very nice, very durable.  (Reqires the changing of the front sight too, also available from them!)

I set my next door neighbor up with a set of them on his No. 1 .45-70 last fall.   He wouldn't trade them for any scope on that rifle!   It shoots, (right out of the box), our .460"-325gFNGC, .460"-405gLFNGC and .460"-450gLFNGC bullets nearly to the same point of aim and all of them into under an inch with those sights.

I don't know how you can go wrong with a Ruger No.1 in .45-70!   But, on the weight side of things, you can carry a Marlin Outfitter in .444 or Guide Gun in .45-70 for about the same weight and have quick backup shots available with the same accuracy potential!

Food for thought!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gentlemen . . .

I'd like to thank each of you for taking the time to share your experience & opinions w/me, and for doing so in such a gracious way.  Hope that doesn't sound too old fashioned but I was raised in the South where good manners and common- courtesy (now all too uncommon) were expected & appreciated by all.

Less than an hour ago I ordered a 50th year #1 in .45-70 from Perry who works for Lock, Stock & Barrel in Valentine, NE . . .   http://www.lockstock.com  The rifle was described as "new-in-the-box" with matching tiger striped wood stocks fore & aft, and he will ship as soon as he receives the signed FFL from my local dealer.  Perry had 2 of these rifles, and after looking at both he said he was sending what he considered to be the pick-of-the-litter.

Based on the advice you folks have posted thus far, I'll definately be looking into installing a Pachmayr decelorator pad and then replace the front sight with the New England Custom Gun receiver sight that both Bill & Marshall recommended along with the associated rear peep sight. (ID #: R-150, correct?) I hate to admit it, but the factory front blade is just too fine for my ageing eyes to acquire very quickly anymore.  The suggested white bead should make the process much easier.

Depending on how well I'm able to make out w/the replacement iron sights, I may also end up with a fixed low power sight mounted on the Warne Premier Ruger rings Big Bore suggested.  (Does anyone know where these rings are available? Brownells?)

I wouldn't take a shot at game over 200 yards away (hopefully much closer) so a low power scope and/or the iron peep arrangement should suffice.  As is so often true, the man behind the gun is gererally the weakest link in the equation.

Now slightly off-topic, while looking around the Denver area over the week-end for .45-70's I saw a Ruger #1B in .308 with a 3 didget, no prefix serial number (540 I believe).  I also saw a Marlin 1894 CL in .218.  The Ruger had been sold but not shipped.  The Marlin was new and available for &#36425.

Thanks to each of you again for your help.  I look fwd to being a participant on this board.

Regards From Denver,

MAJ K  (Tony)

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Tony,

I believe you will get great good service from your No. 1.
They are fine firearms and yours sounds to be a rather attractive example.

The 1B/.308 is certainly a collector's piece. It would be interesting to know for what it sold. The &#36425 for a NIB 1984CL is fair and will only increase if the rifle isn't reintroduced by Marlin. I'm certain I'm not alone in hping they will.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bill . . .

Thanks for the follow-up.  Yep, once I got a look at the 50 year version I made my mind up that's what I wanted.  It's a handsome combination.

I owner told me he sold the #1B for &#361,500 and I have no reason to doubt him nor do I know if that was a particularly good deal or not.  Saw a post on the Ruger Forum involving 2 guys talking about a .218 Bee.  Posted the fact that I had stumbled onto one and my willingness to share the info w/them but no replys so far.  Don't know ANYTHING about that cartridge but did look at a box of shells the same dealer had.  Looks to be more powerful than a Hornet but less powerful than a 22-250, .222 or .223/.556.  If you or anyone else would like info on where that 1894CL is please drop me a line.

Regards From Denver,

MAJ K  (Tony)

·
Beartooth Regular
2,163 Posts
MAJ K,
      I hope you have a great experience with your rifle. Years ago (15-20?) I had a No. 1 in the varmint version in 22-250, and I had nothing but aggravation from it. I had difficulty getting proper eye relief from any of the varmint scopes I had, cases would not reliably extract, and accuracy was awful for a 22-250, in the 2 to 3 m.o.a. range. Also, at the time I was a dedicated woodchuck hunter  and I liked to walk the soybean fields with a loaded chamber and the underlever was forever getting caught in my pants pocket and dropping the cartridge from the chamber!
      Now I realize that there are "fixes" for all these ailments, but I wasn't so sophisticated back then (if you knew me you'd laugh about now!!) and I decided the rifle gods did not intend for me to have a Ruger #1 and thus it found a new owner.
        Hope your experiences are better, because they are certainly beautiful, classy rifles and life is too short to hunt with an ugly rifle! Wait, actually I DO hunt with an ugly rifle, but she has other good qualities! Any way, you get my point! Good luck!  :biggrin:    ID

1 - 12 of 12 Posts