Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a ruger 10 22 that will fire, then cycle and reload another round but when i pull the trigger again it wont shoot. i have to pull the charging handle back about a quarter of an inch to re cock the trigger. i dont understand how it can cycle and reload a round but not re cock itself. does any one have any insight on this? thanks

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
Any auto- loader might do that for several reasons. The two most common are amunition that is not compatible or the firearm just needs a little maintainence.

Not enough information in you post to take a guess. Do one or the other and see what happens?

A "squirt" of oil into the mechanics of the rifle might bring it back to life for awhile if it is just fouled. Cheap way to figure it out anyway. Good luck and report back.

Cheezywan

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,926 Posts
Sounds like the trigger is not resetting. Drop out the trigger group and give it a good cleaning. Lube it with one of the dry aerosol spray lubes.....

·
Registered
817 Posts
The hammer is apparently following the bolt forward. It could be that someone tinkered with the hammer and/or sear and took it a little too far or maybe the trigger group has not been cleaned in a very long time. As other have stated, I would start with dropping the trigger group out of the receiver and giving it a good cleaning and inspection. If is not hard to completely disassemble the trigger group and clean each part. Inspect the hammer and sear and see if there is proper engagement and make sure the disconnecter is reseting properly and that it's spring is in the proper place and not damaged.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bolt Blocker makes for a softer slam bam thankee maam

i have a ruger 10 22 that will fire, then cycle and reload another round but when i pull the trigger again it wont shoot. i have to pull the charging handle back about a quarter of an inch to re cock the trigger. i dont understand how it can cycle and reload a round but not re cock itself. does any one have any insight on this? thanks
I usually buy a bolt blocker from Say Kidd Industries they run about ten bucks if you have not changed out the other pins to remove the trigger group you can get a set for that also it will let you use flat head screws to hold those pins that fall out of the receiver after the first couple of times you remove them to clean the bolt and such.

The bolt blocker pin is simply a replacement that uses a piece of rubber tubing that fits the third hole in the receiver you have to remove to get the bolt out. it has a small inner pin that stiffens the rubber tubing some.

I generally get the whole kit so It comes with a reamer drill counter sink for the flat head screws to hold the two smaller pins in the receiver plus two Allen wrenches to tighten them.whole thing is well under fifty bucks even with the shipping and handling. floats my boat.

dray

1 - 5 of 5 Posts