Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So to take care of another thread, or for those curious of the differences. This compares the LC6 trigger against the 2-stage, in this case found in an M77 Predator.

First, remember the adjustment sequence already referenced and found here:
Ruger Model 77 V/T Trigger Adjustments

Before trying to reassemble the trigger system, you should always back off the three adjustment screws. You need as much play in the system as possible, and you should never expect things to be exactly the same once you pulled them apart. When things change, they change.
Here are the three screws on the Predator, note the bottom(in the picture) pushes a spring.

Hawkeye trigger on the right.

You can see that the 2-Stage(Predator) sear sticks out of the back of the receiver much farther. It also has a "T" shaped piece of metal held in place above it's mounting point, which has a spring keeping tension on the trigger piece. This keeps the trigger under tension so as not to have a sloppy first stage. The Hawkeye has a spring running across the area occupied by the "T" on the other model, it also doesn't have the same trigger tension spring.
Here is a closer view, but the rifle positions are swapped.

An above view of the Sears:

The Hawkeye is on the top in this picture. Note the dimple on the Hawkeye sear, where the trigger spring seats. The Predator's trigger spring seat is a recessed hole in the top of that "T" piece mentioned earlier.

So where does that mystery piece actually go? Well it can only go one last place, and only fits in the receiver one way. So put it where it goes, in the trigger my dear Watson. The hole lines up in the trigger, for the trigger retaining pin.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yup, I knew that, I didn't know it's function until about 10 mins ago when I figured it out myself. I actually figured out my problem just before I read this, but you certainly confirmed it for me :) I have to go spring hunting now :( Evidently I mis-placed the spring that pushes that little "mystery piece" under the sear. That's why it works right sometimes, and other times not. Every now and then the piece would sneak under the sear on it's own accord.

Edit: Why, oh why, do they have to paint those tiny little springs black instead of leaving them nice and shiny, or at least painting them like, lime green.

·
Registered
78 Posts
HOLY CRAP!!! I found it lol. Now i just need to go the rest of my tools out of my car and hope I have a screw driver small enough!

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It's a 3/64 Allen wrench.

Also in the adjustment instructions in the link above, you may need to pay with the sear engagement screw. Per instructed, I don't have enough sear engagement to make the pull weight adjustment work correctly. So back the sear screw off until you get it correct.
And ABSOLUTELY remember to do the function test!! I beat the crap out of my rifle on the ground to make bloody sure it won't fire, UNLESS I pull the trigger.

Reactions: MZ5 and JBelk

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good deal. No one wants an unintentional discharge.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,444 Posts
Great post Darkker, I will "stick it" if you want.

RJ

Reactions: StretchNM

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Playing with mine this evening. It was clean, but seemed to have a film that was exacerbating the terribleness that I was experiencing. I got that gunky feel to go away and the travel seems just about right. I do not have a scale (I know, I know). I used to, but haven't put my eyes on it for 25 years or better. :D It seems crisper, which is a plus. I can deal with a little more weight if it breaks right.

Thanks for this. I probably won't be sure what I think until I actually get it on the bench.

Wish me luck.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:)

Good news JW!
I'm beginning one of my really busy seasons at work, but will get on replacing those photos with clear ones directly to the site; as soon as I can.

Cheers

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pics uploaded

Reactions: tdoyka and MZ5
1 - 13 of 13 Posts