Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CCI 400 Small Rifle Primers don't seem to work for me, I can't get them to seat. Am I doing something wrong or do I need different primers ? thanks !

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Does the diameter of your primer pockets seem to be too small, or can you not seat the primers deep enough? Either way, there are simple hand tools available from most reloading companies that will address the problem. You'll need either a swager or reamer to correct the diameter or depth.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,116 Posts
Have you tried Remington primers? They always seem a bit smaller in my cases and seat easily.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have been using CCI Br4s for years in my 204 and have never had any problems no offence but are you cleaning the pockets?

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
What brass are you using? For some reason Winchester brass doesn't have as deep of primer cups and the primers (all that I have used) stick up just a little bit. I haven't used the 400s.

Are you using a hand primer or a press mounted tool? You can squish them in there pretty good without issue, but I would only use a hand primer for that.

·
The Shadow
7,905 Posts
There have been several comparisons I've read over the years on primer size. The CCI's have ALWAYS been a little larger diameter than the others.
If your .204 brass is on the slightly "tight" side of the spec, there you have it.
Several reloaders I know reload brass so much, that towards the end of it's life when pockets get expanded slightly; they switch to CCI primers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts