Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Couple of weeks ago I zeroed my 223 #3 at 100 yards, 1" high and 3 shots into less than an inch with 50 grain varmint grenades at about 3050 fps.
I also changed the front foresight to a flat post and the smallest rear aperture on my bsa and zeroed that as well, about 1" high at 25 yards.
Yesterday I shot them both at the range with a 40 mph wind gusting up to much more coming from my 2 o'clock. Wind speed is an estimate from the weather forecast, btw.
I fired 10 of the above handloads and also 15 PPP factory loads of 55 grn sp. I aimed at the bull with windage at the right side of the black, about 3". Bullets grouped 8" high and 3" left of the 10 ring. Now I expected the drift but didn't expect elevation change. The range is at sea level btw.
The 22 rimfire loads I was shooting had a solid 40 grn lead lubed bullet at 1150 fps, the flat top of my blade was level with the bottom of the black and the windage was on the right hand edge of the target sheet, about 9" from the 10 ring. These hit the target about 6" to the left of the 10 ring and about 12" above point of aim.
Whilst I was mildly surprised about the amount of drift I wasn't going to beat myself up about it as the 45/577 martini enfield my mate was shooting at the rh side of the target wasn't even hitting the backing sheet of ply.
The windage I can put down to my inexperience but the elevation has me worried, why would the bullets deflect so much upward? I actually expected them to shoot low.
Incidentally the two bullet weights in 223 grouped about 2" apart from each other, with both groups about 2.5" in diameter. I went back to take pictures when I'd finished shooting but the wind had blown all the targets off of the backing wood and scattered them over the range so no pics available. As all the ranges were live I didn't think it was too intelligent to try to chase down my sheet!
I think I've profited from the experience as I'd no idea that wind could affect hv bullets so much over such a short distance.
FWIW I've just come back from a farm I shoot on and popped a crow at about 150 yards with the 223 50 grain barnes VG handloads downwind (it took me ages to get into the right position for a safe shot)
so I reckon the elevation set into the scope is ok as I held just on his shoulder and the VG did what it does well). I'll check out the zero of my bsa in the week on an indoor range.
Didn't mention it was on the 100 yard range, sorry.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,233 Posts
Yes a headwind or tailwind can affect elevation. Nick explained it somewhere on the forum, but I couldn't tell you exactly which one of his posts.

Reactions: drone

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
A tail wind means the bullet has less air resistance so it can fly flatter. A head wind can get the bullet tohave a slight lift (like a plane wing). Both of these are very slight changes and are more pronounced the higher the sight plane is above the bore. You seem to be using metallic open sights so the sight plane is small distance above the bore; and the effects would be small.

The open sights on your #3 (one of my favorite rifles) is very short since the barrel i 22" and the lyman flip sight is mid barrel; about 12 of sight radius. this isn't going to be conducive to accuracy testing. cutting the sight picture just a very, very small difference will make a major change in impact.

just thoughts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Harry my #3 has a scope on 1.5x5 made in the phillipines (Burris?) it's ideal for shorter range work, I'm taking it off and fitting an old Redfield Widefield 3x9 scope as it has ruger rings on and is quite low mounted. I should be on the range this weekend to check it out. I'll put the 1.5x5 on my 10/22 or sell it as they are in high demand in the UK being well respected (at least the phillipino ones are).
The BSA has the excellent parker-hale peep sight on which I use with the flat top front sight element and the smallest aperture in the rotary peep bit at the receiver. I also noticed it was loose, so I've threadlocked it on, just might improve my groups. Still it's not too bad for a gun 73 years of age, only 3 years younger than me!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
My #3 started off with a 2-7x leupold in 1976, it is 30-40 Krag. Lots of deer died with that combo. After 25 years with the rifle I felt I needed more xs, so it went to a 3-9x. 3-9x is popular for a good reason...does most well. 2 years ago I had to change my hunting style due to age; so now I, hunting less than 100 yards from truck, and in thick stuff, so max shot is 40 yards; and I changed to a 1-4x Leupold. A peep would have been perfect, but my eyes are not close to perfect.

With handloads and 170 gr flatnose bullets, my 30-40 does 1.5 inches at 200 yards. Nice accurate rifle; only negative is the curved butt stock and metal buttplate; with p+ loads and its light weight, sort of kick some folks.

Wish I'd have bought a #3 in 22 Hornet, back in the day.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My #3 has been re-stocked and has a flat butt plate, not that it needs anything as it's in 223. For some reason I can't get into my downloads and I'm to lazy to go to my safes and get tha gun out to take a pic so I've put a pic up of my#1 wearing ruger stainless rings and a zeiss diavari scope. I'm so pleased with this scope, I bought it well used and even so the zero on each segment of mag is identical, the gun ain't too terrible either just yours truly who's the weak link but 3 shots into about an inch at 100 yards cuts it for me. I have an 8 ounce hammer to drive tacks, the gun is purely for making holes in things in the right area :D.

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ruger #3.JPG IMG_0049.JPG IMG_0191.JPG Sorry to take so long to drop these in, slipped my mind. The #3 is chambered in 223 rem and the BSA 12/15 is 22 LR, it has a silencer fitted and the only noise it makes is a loud click when the hammer falls.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Nice rifles. I did a doble take when I first looked at the BSA...that globe front sight looked to be halfway down the barrel. sure, the can/compensator is in front of it...looked unusual.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts