Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
FA18CUB,

If you don't get a response, I'll bet a call to Mr. Bowen's shop would give you what you're looking for. His catalog indicates the phone hours are 9:00 AM to Noon, and 1:00 PM to 6:00 PM ET, Mon-Fri. The number is 865-984-3583.

I suspect you may be familiar with this information, and if so, apologize for the redundancy.

Dan

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
CUB,
When you find out the answer (if not available on this forum) please post the information you find out. The more I think about these handy pistols, the more I think about getting one. I've been considering the 32 H&R, but something in me says to go with the 32-20. I'm sure Mr. Bowen's shop can do some type of conversion to work, but not sure if a rebore is what's needed.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did some digging on the web and on sixgunner.com there was a review by Paco about the .32-20. He has a couple Rugers and Smiths with extra cylinders in .32-20. So yes, it is possible. Just need a shop to do it. I am going to call Ogelsby & oglesby tomorrow. They don't have a web sight. I saw a good report on them in 2002 Guns annual. I like the idea of the "classic" caliber. But it would be nice to have the dual cylinders too. Then I could shoot .32 H&R Mag and .32-20!

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I'm pretty certain this can be done to a Blackhawk, so it wouldn't be a re-bore. Looking at the pair of .32 single six revolvers that I have, it doesn't look possible to make it work on that frame. I have a 32-20 in a Buckeye Blackhawk with the additional 32 H&R cylinder. The 32-20 can be loaded safely to exceed or equal light bullet loads in the .357 Magnum with ease. The Blackhawk is a lot of gun to carry around to shoot the .32 H&R, best left to the single six in my opinion. Depending on how much cash you want to part with, the best solution might be to try and find a NIB or used Buckeye conversion like I have. No matter what it cost you, within reason, it's going to be a lot less expensive than a new cylinder/barrel for a blackhawk plus the cost of the pistol to start with.

·
Banned
4 Posts
I recently asked the same question on another site. I finally got an answer from a guy that said he had reamed a .30 carbine Ruger cylinder to take a .32-20. I think the .32Mag. and .22 are on the same frame and if they are then the .32-20 round is about a 1/4" too long, from the measurment of my single six cylinder. I was wanting to do it but all .30 carbines have 7 1/2" bbl. I was wanting a Birdshead .32-20. I guess if I had wanted to do it bad enough I could have bought a .30 and asked Ruger to let me send it to them for a birdshead grip and 4 5/8" .32 mag bbl. Then get the cylinder reamed when I got it back. All that was more time and trouble than I wanted to put in it. Hope my rambling has helped, JTT/NC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts