Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 7.5" Redhawk, a 1894 Carbine, and a .44 Charter Arms snubbie, so I guess you could say I like .44's.

My idea is I can pack one of these on my hip about as easily as I can my 4" GP100 in .357 Mag, and it would be something different. :) My standard load would probably be either a light cast bullet (Lee 200gr RNFP) or a 200 grain HP with 10 grains of Unique. Maybe something heavier if I wanted to punish myself or impress my friends. :D

Might be picking one of these up in the next few months and I was just wondering what you all thought. Does anyone here have one of these that has an opinion?

Are they accurate enough for informal, pop can target shooting out to 20-50 yards?

Matt

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
The Alaskan certainly has enough accuracy, the question is can you shoot the short barrel well enough to utilize the accuracy.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
The Alaskan certainly has enough accuracy, the question is can you shoot the short barrel well enough to utilize the accuracy.

+ 1 -- I agree with your statement.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Picked one up yesterday. :)

Oh HI there!

This is as clean as she'll ever be. :sunny:

Next to my GP100. It's a little smaller. About the same weight:

My family of .44's.

The Hogue grip works really nice on this pistol. The sights are very good and it handles and points very intuitively. Can't wait to shoot it. Will probably get to Thursday.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shot this group from 12 yards today.

Pay no attention to that little flier on the left. That was me. :D

Velocity loss vs the 7.5" Redhawk was right about what I figured it would be. 1550 fps (Redhawk) vs 1350 (Alaskan).

The 10.5 grains of Unique with Lee 200 grainer loads run right at 1000fps.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
I don't really believe it matters much what other's may say or think, you have already formed your opionion and spent the cash right. So the only thing you have to cope with on this short barrel pistol, is can you shoot it well enough at 21 feet and apparently you can. So have fun with your new toy.

A friend of mine used to carry a model 29 Smith & Wesson for 20 years, while on our local county police force. He was on of the very few that I ever saw shoot the .44 caliber very accurately but he was a big man too, tipping the scales at 250 pounds or so and standing 6' 1'' in height, with hands like a frying pan.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You did just fine. I'm very impressed by the Alaskan, and I've shot it in .454. It's exactly what I'd want on my hip in griz-country, particularly if a rifle was outta the question.

I would imagine it can handle some 'off-the-book' level handloads, so that's also a plus. ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Alaskan not ideal

I have owned an Alaskan, and I lost money by trading it for a Red Hawk.

The Alaskan fit my hand really well, much better than the .44 Red Hawk I replaced it with. For me it came down to a 4.2" barrel. I wanted more barrel for more accuracy. Make no mistake: the 4.2" Red Hawk is more accurate. However, it wears my hand out much faster when I go plinking than the Alaskan did. The Alaskan has a nicer grip that is softer. It doesn't drive a strip of steel into your hand. Rather, it has a nice cushy handle all the way around.

The Alaskan pulled up and out of my hands when I shot, which I find a little disturbing at first. The Red Hawk kick right into the webbing between my thumb and forefinger. The Alaskan felt good in my hands, much better than the Red Hawk.

If you are going to need to trust your life to this gun, but the Red Hawk in a 4.2 or a 5.5" barrel. If you are just plinking, buy the Alaskan.

If you do buy the Alaskan, pick up some paint. You will need to paint two dots on each side of the back sight and a nice bright red or something on the front sight. It has no color at all on the sights, and this is not ideal for plinking or shooting to save your life from a bear or a cougar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts