Shooters Forum banner

Ruger .45 Blackhawk Convertable Grips

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  gunpa 
#1 ·
I just bought a Ruger Single Action Blackhawk Convertable in a .45 Colt / .45 ACP. Love the gun..hate the grips. I have Houge grips on my other Rugers. I wanted Houge grips for my new gun. Acording to Houge and Ruger..."NO CAN DO". The new internal locking device prevents the installation of the Houge Grips. WRONG!!! The Houge 83000 will fit a Ruger Single Six and the new Blackhawk with some modification to the pin that is inside the grip that holds the grip on the gun. Here's what you do. File the SMALL pin that comes with the grip flat on two sides. So it is flat on opposite sides. Slide the pin under the locking device on the "front side of the bottom of the frame. The "clip" comes with two pins. one big and one small. The clip has two holes for these pins. Now , put some masking tape on the bottom and sides of the bottom of the frame to prevent scratching when you slide the clip on to the frame. Slide the clip up until the small hole in over the locking device and the large hole is over the pin that you filed down. Put tention on the clip so that the small pin is holding the clip on inside of the big hole. Slide he Houge grip on and thread the screw into the bottom of the grip until it is tight. Perfect !!!

#2 ·
I just purchased a Blackhawk Convertable in the same caliber. Only shot .45 ACP so far. Really like the feel of the gun. I was a little disappointed with the aluminum grip frame. The fit was not good and there are some tool marks just under the screw to the left of the hammer.

I have ordered some .45 Colt brass but the brass is backordered. I got dies and shell plate on the way also. I cast my own bullets.

This is my third Blackhawk. I have one in .44 with a 7 1/2" barrel and a .357 with a 4 5/8" barrel. I really like both of them.

#3 ·
I did the same thing when I bought my blackhawk. Fortunately the misfit worked itself out when the gripframe broke under repeated heavy recoil, I replaced it with a pre-lock stainless gripframe. After that I just had to leave the ugly hogue grip at home and went back to the rosewood grip panels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.