Shooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i never use a sling and want to remove the front sling mount on my M77 MK2 458 LOTT. Do i need to remove the front site to do this? If not how do i go about this?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
i never use a sling and want to remove the front sling mount on my M77 MK2 458 LOTT. Do i need to remove the front site to do this? If not how do i go about this?
Do you mean you want to install the front sling mount on the barrel near the REAR sight?? Midway or Brownells should have barrel mounts for slings.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,225 Posts
Haven't seen a Ruger 77 with iron sights in quite a while. If the front sight has a screw (might have to drift the sight out of a dovetail to uncover the screw), it would be no problem to remove the sight and then slide the sling barrel band off the barrel. The band may require a thin blade to spring the band sufficiently to slide off once the swivel screw is removed.

·
Inactive
7,586 Posts
The front sight is a barrel-band, as is the fwd sling swivel attachment. Both would need to be heated to remove the solder weld. Not sure why you want to remove the sling attachment zim; it's 'out-of-the way' for finger gouges on recoil. Wanting to just clean up the unnecessary?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The front sight is a barrel-band, as is the fwd sling swivel attachment. Both would need to be heated to remove the solder weld. Not sure why you want to remove the sling attachment zim; it's 'out-of-the way' for finger gouges on recoil. Wanting to just clean up the unnecessary?
The reason i want to take it off is purely to clean up the unnecessary as you put it as i will never use a sling. If there is a chance that i may damage the barrell then i will not do it. Just wanting to find that out.

·
Inactive
7,586 Posts
Doubt that you'd damage the barrel, other than the blueing, if done right. I'm not sure what 'right' is but think it's something like 'don't heat the barrel above 650F or so". Then you have to re-solder the front sight on in the right position. I've not done this myself, so beware...

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I own a Remington M-722 which I had converted to .458 X 2" AMERICAN. I wish I'd place a barrel mounted swivel attachment as my right hand has taken a beating, at the bench, with the stock mounted swivel. :eek:

·
Inactive account
315 Posts
I'd leave it alone - for three reasons:
1. Changes the resale value drastically down (in most people's minds)
2. You may hunt Africa one day, or change hunting styles and find a sling isn't too bad of an idea
3. This may become an heirloom for a relative who wants to use a sling

Just my thoughts. Also I've seen people pay big money to have this feature added - almost as much as it'll cost in aggravation to sweat/remove/reinstall/reblue....

·
Inactive
7,586 Posts
zimguide is a PH - I think - in Zimbabwe (this from other posts on other threads), so he's 'hunting' Africa, and any resale value will likely be enhanced there for it's handiness. I can understand his desire to make these changes. His criteria is for a working tool rather than a client hunting rifle.

·
Inactive account
315 Posts
zimguide is a PH - I think - in Zimbabwe (this from other posts on other threads), so he's 'hunting' Africa, and any resale value will likely be enhanced there for it's handiness. I can understand his desire to make these changes. His criteria is for a working tool rather than a client hunting rifle.
Well, ok then. I'll quit with the "why would you" dumb remarks & answer the question:

1. Heat the band & remove the set screw.
2. Slide band forward until it is loose on the bbl.
3. Wrap masking tape around bbl & slide band up on it to protect the bbl finish.
4. Cut a slot on each side w/dremel & remove the band in 2 pieces.
5. Touch-up the bbl with cold-blue & you're done.

This leaves the front sight where it is, but destroys the band. The whole "front sight remove / install" thing is where most home-gunsmiths will get into trouble. The above procedure you should be able to do yourself with a steady hand. FWIW....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.