Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got as new Ruger 45lc 4 5/8" barrel.
Now I know this is no mag. revolver but, I,m looking for a lead load with a larger bullet, 300 and over, with good velocity. Want to carry it as a side arm in the woods and any help would be appreciated.
thanks
joe

·
Banned
738 Posts
Joe454,
I have never loaded anything over 268 grs in my .45 Ruger, but I have tried the Corbon loads.
When I get my loading bench set up again and some work done on my gun I might just try some of these loads.
If you look up to the top of this page you will see a tab that says: LoadSwap.com
I believe that there is data for these kind of loads in there.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
Joe

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Joe 454

I don't shoot my Ruger BH, 4 5/8, 45 Colt any more. I'm busy working with my Anaconda and Rossie in 45 Colt. My Smiths won't handle the hot stuff or I'm too chicken to shoot hot loads in my Smiths.
But the Anaconda just loves a load of 20 grains of H110 behind a 300 grain gc'd Saeco bullet. So does the Rossi. Recoil is moderate, noice is OK, try this and see how you like it.
Keep in mind that every 45 Colt I've ever owned, shot did better with bullets sized .454, as opposed to the recommended .452.
Jim
Lord help me to see my brothers as perfect and Holy as you created them.
If not, please steady my aim

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,440 Posts
Hey Joe,

I've gone up to 340gr in a Ruger.  If it's not a "Magnum"... then I don't want a "Magnum"!

Of course you have the .454 which really leaves the .45 Colt in the dust so you're perfectly entitled to make that comment.

Anyway.... quite a lot of the reloading manuals have "Ruger/TC Only" loads for the .45 Colt.  Use the jacketed 300 grain data for lead bullets of the same weight.  You'll probably find that the lead bullets, at least the LBTs, will need a little more powder to reach the published velocities, because they take up less of the case.

Generally the load data for a Ruger-level .45 Colt load with a 300 grain bullet starts around 20 grains of WW296/H110 and goes from there.  After burning a heck of a bunch of WW296 in ignorance, I'd recommend starting with that load, a hot primer, and work up charges to around 1200fps.  It probably won't burn real consistently below that level.  You might have to go several grains above that depending on the powder lot.

Hodgdon #26 goes to 350 grain bullets.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Might not be a magnum but a .45 Blackhawk can be loaded hot enough so that it will try to bury the front sight in your forehead when you shoot it! Check here for information on how hot you can load a standard Blackhawk in .45 Colt: http://www.sixgunner.com/linebaugh/Default.htm and especially read the article called "Dissolving the Myth - Discovering the Potential"

Also to keep in mind when loading hot, the .45 Colt was made for the US Cavalry, and was deemed entirely suitable to drop horses out from under soldiers with loads far inferior to what we have today. I have been shooting more normal .45 Colt loads with a 260 gr Keith over 10.0 grs Unique for years and that load works on everything I've used it on (including wild hogs and one cow that went berserk).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts