Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ruger 77/22R LR bought in 1988. I was strictly a black powder shooter at that time, but the little gun was so pretty I couldn't resist it. I put a Leupold Rimfire Special 4x scope on it, sighted it in and then set it aside. It has never really been fired, since. I see they are still being manufactured, and I was wondering if they are essentially the same gun I bought, or if they have been changed, for better or fore worse, over the years. Anyone here use this gun or know what the situation with them is?

If anyone has any experience with them, I'd appreciate an opinion on the quality of the gun.

Spence

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I have had one for 6-7 years. Really like it. I believe they are the same today as before.

A coworker had a Burris 6X benchrest scope I bought and installed. Use it to snipe squirrels at long range (60-80 yards). Loads of fun.

Don

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
i have a SS all weather model that i took out of the boat paddle stock and placed into a factory walnut stock. i bought the bottom metal required through ruger and i now have a nice looking M77/22 topped with a Sightron S2 6x HBR scope. it shoots mini mags very well as a few others too. my son likes it alot so i guess i'll be picking up another some time down the road.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Spence,

They have not really changed over the years. About the only difference is the early ones had a thin plastic butt plate and starting about the 3rd year they came with the rubber pad instead. The models with open sights aren't made either but there are a few coming out of the woodwork lately and seem to be a run of "clean up" guns Ruger must have put together with parts they had sitting in the warehouse.

I have an early open sight model with an extra plain barrel that I put on because the scope I wanted to use wouldn't fit past the rear sight. I do think the first few years of production had way nicer wood than what you normally see on todays guns. Without any modifications both barrels shoot extremely well and I won't believe a word from anyone that says the 77/22's aren't accurate. Most all rimfires I own shoot the Winchester 40gr Power Points the best. I have never tried match ammo because of the cost. I get satisfactory results with the Winchester. CCI's also shoot pretty darn good.

I also have a 77/22 Mag with a Shilen Match Grade barrel that is an amazing shooter. But that isn't fair to compare it to a stock rifle for accuracy or cost since I could have bought 2 stock rifles for what I put into it. My opinion of them is they are one of the best rimfire rifles out there. Sure there are cheaper options available that will shoot just as well and there are also some that cost 3-4 times as much if you want a match rifle but there aren't many out there that have a feel to them like a full sized bolt gun quite like the Ruger.

I'd say you are really missing out by letting it sit in the safe! You need to take it out and get reacquainted and you will wonder why you let it sit all this time!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spence,
I'd say you are really missing out by letting it sit in the safe! You need to take it out and get reacquainted and you will wonder why you let it sit all this time!!
I plan on doing just that. Many years ago I took up black powder shooting, hunting and reenacting, and I set aside or sold all my smokeless guns. Now I'm taking up smokeless again, at least a little. This Ruger 77/22 and a sweet little Marlin 39M are going to see some action. I always enjoyed squirrel hunting with a .22, and I'm looking forward to trying my hand at it, again.

Thanks.

Spence

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't use it much these days, but can't bring myself to selling it either.
I feel exactly the same way. Some guns just have the right feel and look for a guy, and this one does, for me. It's size, balance, the way it fits when I shoulder it... it's as though the gun was built for me. It's a keeper.

Spence

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
I have an All Weather Target one in .22LR, it really likes CCI Velocitors for top accuracy. I also have an RSM (sights) in .22WMR that has a nice walnut stock and polished blue barrel. Its pretty accurate with the Remington Accutip and Hornady V Max. Finally, I have an RS in .22 Hornet that I like a lot!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I actually have two Ruger 77/22's.

#1 is a custom job. It started life as a Stainless-Synthetic that I bought used. It shot great as it was but I have always wanted a Custom Ruger 77/22 and it was to be. I sold the original synthetic stock, barrel and scope rings and started over.

I used a Clark Custom Guns 20" Stainless-Steel Bull Barrel. Clark Custom Guns uses Lothar-Walther Barrel Blanks to make their barrels. Clark has their own design chamber reamer. All I know is that this rifle shoots better than the shooter. 5 shot groups at 100 yards from the bench of 1" or under are commonplace with it's perferred ammo.

I set the barreled action in a Volquartsen Custom Lamnated Wood Stock that I reshaped slightly and my nephew refinished for me. I removed the roll over portion of the Cheekpiece on the right side of the stock, making the side of the stock straight down from the Monte Carlo running down to the thickest portion of the buttstock. I also lowered the wrist area (top of the pistol grip behind the tang) of the stock and also rounded it some. I then rasped a hollow area behing the right side of the grip for a hollow spot for the meaty portion of my hand below my thumb to fit into. I rasped it back a bit too far so will be doing a slight bit more work to this area.

To get this barreled action in a Wood Stock since it was originally in a Synthetic Stock I had to buy the Trigger Guard, Magazine Well Liner and Action Screws from a Ruger K77/22VBZ. I then polished the target grey finish off of those parts so it matched the shiney stainless-steel of my action and barrel.

Lastly I tweaked the trigger until it breaks like a glass rod at 1 1/4 pounds and added an over travel stop.

The last thing I did was get Ruger Stainless-Steel High 1" Scope Rings to mount my Weaver V-16 4x16x42mm AO Riflescope with a Fine Crosshair / Dot Reticle.

My other one is a Ruger K77/22VBZ. This was the first Ruger 77/22 I ever bought and I did some modifications to it. The Barrel Shank to Receiver fit was horrible on this Rifle. After talking to several gunsmiths I ended up making shims to align and tighten up this loose fit. I also JB Welded the Barrel Shank into the Action.

I then Free Floated the Barrel in the Laminated Wood Stock, and did a complete Trigger Job on it, 2 pounds. I had sold this rifle to a friend many years ago, but recently was able to purchase it back again. Since then I had the 24" Barrel shortened to 20" and recrowned.

This Rifle wears a Mueller 4.5x14x40mm AO APV Riflescope in Ruger High 1" Scope Rings. This is my main hunting rifle, and with ammo it prefers will shoot nearly as good as my Custom Ruger 77/22.

I am very fond of the Ruger 77/22 and really wouldn't want to be without one.

Larry

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
in addition to my M77/22 i also had a M77/17 HMR. that one had a Green Mountain sporter barrel on it. i had the action and first 1 inch of the barrel glass bedded. trigger worked and topped it with a 4-12x40 AO 3200 Elite. i traded that rifle without scope last year straight up for a M77 mark II all weather .280 Rem. we both were happy. i miss that .17 and i'll get another down the road.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks Spence, Once you still a .22 LR Hollow Point in a Squirrels head it is not going to care what the rifle looks like that shot em. I don't take my Custom Ruger 77/22 out shooting too much as I am afraid I'll ding it up. I mainly use that one for Target Shooting at our local indoor shooting range in the winter.

Very nice Jim H, now I am going to have to go buy another Ruger 77/22. That bright stainless-Steel with the Walnut Stock just looks great.

Larry

·
Registered
293 Posts
Some nice pictures here!! I need to play along!

My 77/22 LR is a second production year model with a 4x Weaver...

My 77/22 Mag startad life as an All-Weather model that was fit with a factory black laminated , checkered stock. I had a Shilen Match Grade barrel with the varmint contour installed , action and first few inches of barrel bedded , and a trigger job set at 1 1/2 pounds. The stainless Weaver 4x looks good but the gun is amazingly accurate and I think a little better scope would make it even better.

The other difference I had just noticed between the early and later 77/22's is the early models had the blued bolt handle vs. the stainless on the newer ones.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.