Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cruising another forum, I came across a post that Ruger would offer a M77 in .357 Mag.

Think it's just wishful thinking, or a legitimate leak?

Based on my 77/44, I'd order one sight unseen.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
Interesting concept. Seeing as how they did offer the .357 in their #1 single shot platform on a limited edition basis, I'd say that Ruger might well be thinking of doing exactly that.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Cruising another forum, I came across a post that Ruger would offer a M77 in .357 Mag.

Think it's just wishful thinking, or a legitimate leak?

Based on my 77/44, I'd order one sight unseen.
I'd like to see them come out with their Model 77 chambered for the .357-44 Bain and Davis, instead of the .357 Magnum.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
We have a Model 94 Winchester in 357. With a 180-grain LBT style bullet, you don’t need anything bigger. The 180-grain LBT will take out both shoulders of a white tail at 25-yards. The best part is this is a fun gun to shoot. We saw the post on the bolt rifle and I believe it would be a lot of fun as a plinker and for called critters. Typically, you will shoot at less than 50-yards unless they just won’t come to the call. If you decide ahead of time what you are hunting you could tailor your cast bullet for minimum or maximum pelt damage.
We have a 357 Maximum 21” TC barrel and it is an experimenter’s barrel, shooting nearly everything well with just a little load development.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,692 Posts
Heck I'd be tempted with one in .35 Rem..... full stock.... :D

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
yeah, mag, max or rem... that would be a fun lil rifle! i think one of their deerfields in .357 would be awesome! probably never see that one tho...

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh Well, probably just another internet rumour.

Think of all the money I'll save :(

·
Registered
13,152 Posts
This is a very nice turn of events for us Hoosier deer hunters that are restricted to pistol-caliber rifles. I'm glad to see it is NOT just a rumor and that Ruger has them listed on their website, at the very least!

I could see this reamed out to 357Max, 357-44B&D or possibly even a 358GNR, although those latter two might require a different bolt face setup? Even if you just stuck with a 357 Mag or Max, it would be a handy little rifle that younger or smaller-built shooters could enjoy hunting with. It would be great to carry a solid bolt-action, with a well-designed stock and easy scope-mounting options, in a cartridge that won't kick much at all.

The one thing I don't like is the 1:16 rate-of-twist, which may very well limit you to 158/160 grain bullets, at least in the 357 Mag chambering. You could probably get away with 180/185gr bullets if you stepped up the speed by lengthening the chamber for the Max. I wonder if the magazine would accommodate the longer OAL of the Max?

·
Inactive account
3,283 Posts
Yep they are, it's up on their site. Black Synthetic SS Gold Bead 5 capacity rotary magazine. Brushed Stainless, OAL 38.5 inches, LOP 13.5 inches, weight 5.5 lbs with 8 grooves. MSRP $ 793.00

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Well, I’ll probably buy one but I am not entirely happy. I am one of those curmudgeons who does not like plastic and stainless.

If the magazine is the same length as the 44 Magnum it will limit COAL and probably will not handle the 357 Maximum through the magazine.

The twist is 1-16” - same as the S&W. This should not limit accuracy as the average velocity from a rifle will above wadcutter speeds and accuracy should be good with heavy bullets.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Guys.

I was just waiting for a 77/357, secure in the knowledge that it was a perfect combination.

Not joking, like my Whelen CDL, I will have an order in before the dew is off the grass tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
If I were to rebarrel my present Ruger Model 77/.44 Mag. I'd rebarrel it to the .357-44 B&D. Reason is that the bolt face would be the same as the regular .44 Magnum & it would feed okay using the .44 Magnum magazine. I would have a 22" barrel installed with open sights, and ammo would be easy to make as all it would require is a resizing in a .357-44 B&D full legth die.:)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Well I might like one in the deerfield version .Another run in 44 Mag would be nice too, as long as you do not have to sell your first born to pay for it .

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LOL, go get em TMan, it's a pretty good looking rifle and i bet it's fun to shoot.
I placed an order for one yesterday :) might take a while, but maybe not.

One of those things I just had to have, a .357 rifle. :confused:

Mostly because I have lots of .357 brass and bullets, and I wanted a toy. The Marlin 1894 was an option, but somehow I was sure Ruger would eventually put a 77/357 out, and I am very fond of my 77/44, and 77/22.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
I placed an order for one yesterday :) might take a while, but maybe not.

One of those things I just had to have, a .357 rifle. :confused:

Mostly because I have lots of .357 brass and bullets, and I wanted a toy. The Marlin 1894 was an option, but somehow I was sure Ruger would eventually put a 77/357 out, and I am very fond of my 77/44, and 77/22.
Their recent 77/.22 Hornet (Silver Bolt Handle) is much improved & is very accurate! My Brother has a 77/22 with the barrel threaded in and it is also super accurate with the Leupold Rim Fire scope he has mounted on it.;)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts