Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was cruising one of the local gun shops today and ran across a used 77/44. Its blued/wood and there really isnt a scratch on it. Guy had $450 on the tag.

I have had a Deerfield carbine in the past. I liked the rifle as a little drive gun but it gave me problems with feeding reliably so off she went. I am wondering what kind of accuracy all of you 77/44 shooters are getting with yours? Also, Im not much of a Ruger man so does this seem like a fair price for such a rifle?

Look forward to hearing your replies, especially from any of you that currently shoot one.

JH

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Had a stainless one years ago. Should have kept it. Only problems were hard trigger and short OAL for the magazine. Id get a trigger job done if I had another one. The OAL is not really a problem if you handload. Most factory ammo will fit except for some of the specialty rounds. Makes for a cheap to shoot centerfire rifle using light handloads. I would expect 2 inch groups at 100 yards with a little tuning. Never had functioning problems at all. Ruger is making this rifle again for a much higher price so for 450.00 sounds good to me.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I own a Ruger Model 77/44, which I bought back in 1999. It is a VERY accurate rifle, especially with handloads. Got a Peep Sight on my Ruger.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I will go back this afternoon and see just what they will take for it. I really dont need it at all so it would almost be a novelty thing for me. Just something about that short little action on it intriuges me....we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I think I will go back this afternoon and see just what they will take for it. I really dont need it at all so it would almost be a novelty thing for me. Just something about that short little action on it intriuges me....we'll see how it goes.
I paid $350 for mine back in 1999. If you buy it I'd either scope it with a 2-7X33mm power Leupold VX-1 scope with heavy duplex. OR buy a NECG Receiver Sight For Rugers, replace the front sight with a 538 "M" Williams Front Firesight #60237. Can't go wrong with either.:)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I went back and took another look at it. Tried see what we could do with the price, guy wasn't having any of it so I left her sit on the shelf. I liked how the rifle handled, but not for $450 +tax. Oh well, I have just about 0 practical use for a rifle in .44 mag and the limited experience I've had with Ruger centerfires in the past left me mostly unimpressed anyway. More money for the Kolar fund.....

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Well I went back and took another look at it. Tried see what we could do with the price, guy wasn't having any of it so I left her sit on the shelf. I liked how the rifle handled, but not for $450 +tax. Oh well, I have just about 0 practical use for a rifle in .44 mag and the limited experience I've had with Ruger centerfires in the past left me mostly unimpressed anyway. More money for the Kolar fund.....
Should have bought the Model 77/44 Ruger as they are hard to find with the walnut stock. They are currently making them with the Synthetic stocks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts