Shooters Forum banner

Ruger 77/44 Mag - Final Tests

7K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Bill Lester 
#1 ·
Friends All....Some months ago I bought a Ruger 77/44 to use as a test platform for .44" bullets, both hard cast and jacketed. I know this board leans toward lever guns, but there are some limitations as far as feeding is concerned. I put a Leupold 1x4 power on the rifle as I feel this power range is perfect for this caliber. I used this rifle to test various bullets on lung shot wild hogs...as you may remember I felt the test bullets would fail to put down wild hogs in there tracks! Next, bullets where tested on shoulder shots where a lot of bones were crushed. Two absolutely outstanding bullets proved the be the Beartooth 265 gr and the Rock Island 265 Truncated Cone Wadcutter, both having the same meplat and at 1850 fps. The Hornady 240 gr XTP was a followup. Any of these three are deadly on deer, including lung shots.
As for the Ruger....anything that will go in the clip will feed, including Smith's OWC's! I did try some Hornady 180 gr XTP's, but was not satisfied with the accuracy of these, or any other lightweights. It also appears that the Ruger likes velocities in and about 1800/1900 fps.
As time permits, I am deeply involved with overseas work at present, I will have a full writeup on the Ruger 77/44, the Rem.788, and the Marlin 1894P.
Best Regards, James C. Gates

#2 ·
James,

Good hearing from you and thanks for the update. I've only handled the Ruger 77/44, never fired one yet, but they do seem to be a super carbine for many hunting needs. I'd really be interested in trying one with a compact scope mounted forward of the receiver a' la the Cooper's Scout Rifle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.