Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw one listed in .223 and 6.5 Grendel for a pretty decent price. Does anyone know if barrels can be changed like to say 7mm-08 or 6.5 Creedmoor?

I've been hankering for a Grendel for awhile now and might just have to pull the trigger.

Also, just a general review of the rifle itself. I have owned a number of Ruger's over the years and have rarely been disappointed.

Also interested in the Trigger. My M77 Mark II in 204 just about drove me crazy until I got the trigger right on it.

Thanks.

The Shadow (Moderator)
1) Does anyone know if barrels can be changed like to say 7mm-08 or 6.5 Creedmoor?

2) Also, just a general review of the rifle itself. I have owned a number of Ruger's over the years and have rarely been disappointed.

3) Also interested in the Trigger.

1) ALL center-fire bolt action Rugers, have the same thread spec. So whether you have a "Tang", a MKII, a Hawkeye, an American, or a Precision. The barrels all interchange, jump over to PT&G and buy a barrel nut; swap until your heart is content.

2) The rotary mag is a really crap joke.
Here is one, And here is another.

3) Buy a Timney. Don't talk about it, don't try and justify the factory creepy thing; just buy the Timney.

馃槈

Cheers

Registered
I pulled the barrel on a RAR 223 with a pencil barrel in May of last yr. The barrel nut is smooth, no flats, so I just used a pipe wrench to get the nut loose/off. The trigger on mine is just so-so, not bad but not good either. You can get better triggers for them but you still have a RAR action with a high dollar trigger. Aftermarket springs are available for the triggers as well. My action is fine, no issues other than I wish the ejection port was a bit larger as I prefer to not deal with magazine and single feed. My handloads do fit the mag, but I just prefer single feed.

X-caliber and Preferred barrel(MGM) makers offer Ruger pre-fits, but not sure about the calibers.

Registered
Saw one listed in .223 and 6.5 Grendel for a pretty decent price. Does anyone know if barrels can be changed like to say 7mm-08 or 6.5 Creedmoor?
I was considering a similar exercise about a year& 1/2 ago. When I looked at the total cost, it made more sense to just grab a M700 action, (they were available at the time), and send it off to Pac-Nor. It should come home around the end of June/early July. Total cost, not exactly cheap, will be about $1500 scoped, stock, Rifle Basix trigger, and I had Pac-Nor do an action job and finish with a matte black Cerakote. But I don't wonder if it will shoot ;)

Not sure if you can swap the bolt face? There are kits to upgrade some rounds to a AR type magazine. But the entire process isn't cheap when all is done. Then you own a really expensive Ruger American.
The Grendel route is interesting as is. Some RA's shoot real well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was considering a similar exercise about a year& 1/2 ago. When I looked at the total cost, it made more sense to just grab a M700 action, (they were available at the time), and send it off to Pac-Nor. It should come home around the end of June/early July. Total cost, not exactly cheap, will be about $1500 scoped, stock, Rifle Basix trigger, and I had Pac-Nor do an action job and finish with a matte black Cerakote. But I don't wonder if it will shoot ;)

Not sure if you can swap the bolt face? There are kits to upgrade some rounds to a AR type magazine. But the entire process isn't cheap when all is done. Then you own a really expensive Ruger American.
The Grendel route is interesting as is. Some RA's shoot real well.
Well...I think I will stick with pursuing a Grendel in this or a Howa Mini. I have been wondering about the 7-08 also was the reason for my original question about barrels. I think it would be wise for me to just get a separate offering if I decide to look at both calibers.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Found that there are some Mini's available and starting some research to try and make a more informed decision. If I go with a Ruger or Howa, I will likely re-stock depending on how early range work goes. Am keeping an open mind and not set on just these two, so will be looking at all my options, like a CZ or some other configuration I haven't thought of yet. I have time as I have about a years worth of ammo for my current calibers to keep me busy once I get Medical clearance to start shooting again.

I was hoping that maybe I could convert whatever I get to a single load type format. Will be looking into that too.

Here is the Howa.

Howa Mini.jpg

Registered
Well...I think I will stick with pursuing a Grendel in this or a Howa Mini. I have been wondering about the 7-08 also was the reason for my original question about barrels. I think it would be wise for me to just get a separate offering if I decide to look at both calibers.

Thanks for everyone's input.
I've owned a 7-08 since it was initially released by Remington. It's an excellent round for deer size game, but plain vanilla when you're looking for something different. A strong upside to the Grendel brass issue is Starline carries it, though they are out at the moment. Been thinking of a Grendel myself, and just so happens Brownells has a Howa Mini barreled action for only $442. Hmmm. Time to look in my wallet ;)

Registered
I have a Ruger American Predator in 6. 5 Grendel. I bought it a few years ago when guns where cheap. I wanted a CZ but $375 from Buds Guns was hard to pass on. It is one of my favorite guns, Sub MOA. I load the 95 gr Vmax to 2850 FPS. I shoot steel out to 600 yards in the back field. Recoil in minimal. It has just grown on me and is now my Coyote gun.

Registered
Big ruger fan here .. I'm thinking 375-08 40掳shoulder " 375 raptor " in a ceracoat
Predator. . But in a AR platform it's NASTY

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Big ruger fan here .. I'm thinking 375-08 40掳shoulder " 375 raptor " in a ceracoat
Predator. . But in a AR platform it's NASTY
Yup....my BIG wish is a Ruger with a tie-dye ceracoat finish in an AR platform.

I almost built a 375 Wildcat back in the 80's off the 338 Win. case...but had a 2nd daughter instead. As far as I knew at the time, there was not one exactly like it. I think the 375 Ruger is pretty close. No telling how many rifles I might have today if I hadn't had kids (or a wife for that matter)... :D I think I'll take my kids. hah

1 - 11 of 11 Posts