Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ruger 10/22 Rifle and a Ruger Mark IV pistol. If I use CCI brand ammo I have no issues with either gun. If I use any other brand of ammo, in either gun, I get a jam about every third or fourth shot. Anybody else having this issue?

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Specifically, which CCI ammo are you using and what other brands are you talking about. I've owned a dozen or so of these guns and used them extensively in competitions. I can offer some good things to try/do to get them to function reliably. I will tell you that it isn't all about the ammo, but about gun care also.

·
Premium Member
15,442 Posts
What are you calling a 'jam'? Fail to feed, fail to fire, fail to extract or eject?

Reactions: bfrshooter

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Specifically, which CCI ammo are you using and what other brands are you talking about. I've owned a dozen or so of these guns and used them extensively in competitions. I can offer some good things to try/do to get them to function reliably. I will tell you that it isn't all about the ammo, but about gun care also.
Hi and thank you for the reply. I am using CCI AR Tactical Copper Plated Round Nose .22LR with no problems. The other ammo I have is Federal Premium Target .22LR Gold Medal. The Federal ammo sometimes does not fire I have also had a problem with it not feeding properly from the 10 round magazine as well as a Ruger BX-25 magazine. I have had the same problem with Ruger Mark IV either not feeding properly or not firing at all. The problems seem to occur about every 4th or 5th shot.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
A couple of things here: Most all 25 round mags have feeding problem in Ruger 10/22 rifles. I never had one that worked at all.This is a very common problem. My only suggestion there is to not use it if reliability is of primary concern. Most all feeding and ejection problems with a .22lr semi-auto are related to dirty chambers, slides, and magazines. Rimfire armmo for .22lr are coated with a wax lube. Some brands are worse than others. Some use a very low viscosity wax (RWS, Lapua, Eley, and a few others). Some look like the ammo was put in a milk carton and the wax poured over them...like Remington. Take your gun(s) apart and give them a very thorough cleaning. Don't neglect the slide, firing pin, and bolt face. Pay special attention to the chamber. Use a good brush and give it a very good cleaning. After re-assembly try using some of the ammo I mentioned above. If money is an issue, get some GECO Bolt std. velocity ammo (cheap, but decent accuracy). All of those have a more "oily" lube on them and it doesn't build up as fast. For quite a few years I shot around seven cases of rimfire ammo each year (not nearly as much now) and I have always found that wax/grime build-up to be the primary cause of failure to feed, eject, and fire in my various handguns and rifles. Other competitors who shot a lot also found the same thing. I carried a small RCBS wire brush with a handle on it to all matches. I bent the brush at 90 degrees to the handle and just before going to the line for score I always gave the chamber a couple of passes to make sure no residue was in there. Cleaning the gun before I had problems and carrying that brush allowed me to shoot for many years with nearly zero malfunctions at any match. Using a quality lubed ammo was a major factor in preventing crud build-up and added greatly to the overall accuracy of each firearm. I suspect nearly all, or all of your problems are dirt/crud build-up somewhere on your guns and using a high capacity mag in a rimfire. I've seen major competitors actually drip oil in their mags before stepping up to the line just to make sure the mags feed. However, that extra step simply added to problems with crud build-up later on and required constant cleaning of magazines. Try what I suggested and see what the results are. After shooting on the plus side of half a million .22 rounds I have an idea of what I'm talking about. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
15,442 Posts
What he said!

Fail to feed is indication of a bad magazine or a dirty gun. Fail to fire in a semi-auto is almost always a disconnector problem from the bolt not going all the way closed. That's a dirty gun problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the recommendations. I usually give my guns a good cleaning after I shoot but every now and then I get a little lazy. Shame on me :)

·
Premium Member
15,442 Posts
Nah!! No shame but your guns will work better. :)

Welcome to the forums from S. Idaho.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
The Ruger pistol Might like a change of recoil spring to 'tune' it for the other ammo you want to use.
It sounds to me like the Federal ammo has a lower LOADED Pmax MAP than the CCI does, also Federal is under SAAMI Recommended standards and CCI is under CIP Legal Regulations, perhaps a factor.

Chev. William

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
Thanks for all the recommendations. I usually give my guns a good cleaning after I shoot but every now and then I get a little lazy. Shame on me :)
Doesn't matter, the gentleman that mentioned the longer magazines not doing well in 10/22s is right. Stick with the 10 rounders and just get more of them if you're not going to keep it clean everytime. The longer magazines don't feed the rounds up into the chamber the same way as the 10 rounders do and there can be a number of problems with them.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I found Ruger marks have magazine springs that take a set if left loaded long enough. I never had a problem with the rotary. Dirt is the main cause but so is ammo. Bulk ammo is the worst. Many fail to fire since the priming compound can be missing on one side, turning the shell will fire it. My friend used WW bulk and I would find 20 live rounds on the ground. Good dent in the rim so I turned them and all fired. Fed bulk is barely better. Rem has all kinds of reports from crack to bloop.

Back in the 80's the original WW Wildcat ammo was fantastic and accurate, long ago WW high velocity was also super but things changed over the years. Bullets were changed and so was the priming step with a wet pellet dropped in and the case spun, all for faster production.

I like CCI even if not as accurate as some old rounds, they all go off. RWS R50 target was the best too, very slow but deadly accurate. I never had much from Eley.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Shoot about 300 - 500 rounds of AR-Tactical through your guns and you can probably then shoot most other brands. Ruger's come with a heavy recoil spring and need to be shot until the spring sets. You can get a spring kit from Volquartsen.com that will help eliminate your problems. I use the medium set spring and have run 0ver 20,000 rounds in my Mark IV with no problems.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have the same feeding problem with one BX-25, the other works great. The one that fails to feed only does so with the first 5+ rounds then feeds like normal. May just be a need for more shootin. Sure don't like loading them.

Too bad my uplula wont work here.

·
Banned
531 Posts
This post reminds me of an old joke.

A guy tells his doctor, "Every time I do this with my leg, it hurts".

So, the doctor says, "Don't do that with your leg."

In other words, use what works and be happy you found a brand that does!!! I know some guys that didn't find a viable brand after many, many boxes by many, many manufacturers!

Or, as my long time mentor has told me many times,... "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I would enjoy these weapons with what works, with a smile on my face, if I were you. ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I found solution

I bought Ruger 22/45 MK3. It would jam very often except if I used CCI ammo. By jam I mean usually fail to eject empty or fail to feed. I was very frustrated and than I upgraded to Volquartsen kit that enabled free magazine drop and it helped but still had problems, later I found online article with pictures on how to modify the magazine a little with dremel tool and that cured all the jamming problems. The ammo you mention Federal Gold it sucks, on the other hand Federal Auto Match works. Also found that when using suppressor the extra back pressure helps cycling. I haven't shot much and last time I cleaned was probably 3 years ago but it will cycle CCI just fine after 1500 rounds or so.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts