Shooters Forum banner

Ruger Bearcats and Smith M63s

4682 Views 15 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  mattsbox99
Lets talk about the Ruger New Model Bearcat and Smith M63 shall we. I haven't handle a Bearcat since I was a teenager in the early 80s (never did shoot it) but have owned several Ruger New Model Super Single Sixes and did own a M651 4". Now, I am not looking at purchasing this for myself. Its to be a gift to my 2yr old grandson when he's capable, gotta make him into a little handgunner like I did his father. Which you choose for your grandson's investment in shooting rights? (keep this to pistols as his dad's getting him the youth .22LR rifle)

CD
1 - 2 of 16 Posts
I have a couple of Bearcats, one blued and one stainless, a 5” 63-4 and am looking forward to the availability of the 3” 64 next month, and a Single Six. My SS Bearcat is with Cylinder and Slide Shop at the moment for installation of S&W J frame sights. The cute little Bearcat has a very small grip and practically unusable sights. Might be a great gun for my grandkids, but they are all under 4 at the moment so I have a while to wait.

I think a better comparison may be the Single Six and 63. They both have grips that could be used by smaller people, but have descent sights. I will see how the Bearcat compares when it comes back with descent sights.
I love my little Bearcats, but the sights are so small, and my arms are long, that the sights are very difficult to use. I hope it is a different story with J frame sights on the Bearcat. If they work, I will probably do it to the other one as well.
1 - 2 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.