Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for better sights that i can put on or customize on my blackhawk. i cant see the front in an accurate relatio0nship to the rear sight . any ideas.........

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
You could try paint first for better contrast. I used the flourecent stuff on mine and it seems to work OK. Considered the One-Ragged Hole conversion. I think Brownells has it. There are others out there too but they seem kind of pricey. For some reason after I started shooting a lot off hand, especially using the charging dangerous game format, the sights became less of a factor for me. I guess I just needed the practice.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,461 Posts
Just how bad is it... hardly anyone can see the front & rear sights in focus at the same time.

What barrel length is causing the problem - often as we get older a move to a shorter barrel (sight radius) helps considerably.

Also, is this only a problem in the field against indistinct targets, or at the range also? On my Blackhawks I widen the notch in the rear sight. Isn't totally necessary at the range shooting at black/white targets, but helps a great deal shooting at a deer or hog.

Have you tried different color targets as well? Some sheets of blank paper and a couple of cans of different colors of spray paint may prove a worthwhile experiment.

Lastly, a device on your shooting glasses known as a Merit Disk can help keep objects at different distances in focus.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I dont like colared front or white outlined rears they may help in bad light but there hard to see in good light. The best Ive found is a post type front thinned to .10 to .12 and a bowen rear.

·
Registered
311 Posts
LLoyd,
I've never seen a Bowen sight.
How can It be better than the Ruger sight?
A flat black blade with a notch in it?

And I agree about the colored insert in the front sight. My open sight shooting improved greatly when I got a black front from Ruger and quit using the red insert.

·
Registered
173 Posts
the back of the sight is flat rather then rounded and that does help. Also the adjustments are alot more precise and repeteable. Believe me there worth the money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The millet sight, a target type rear, finished with horizontal flutes (to diffuse light) below the target style notch, comes in 2 flavors, white outline and plain. It drops into the existing ruger topstrap, and is calibrated to the existing front (black) blade....$35-40. It notch geometry mates well with a 5-7.5" bbl's original front sight. Midway sells it, and I'm sure Millet has a wabsite.

Also and excellent drop in for the Gold Cup, no need to change the front sight either. Much better than the factory elliason sight.

·
Banned
71 Posts
On my Rugers I use the OneRaggedHole.com aperture.

The center of the peep is a bit higher than the usual square notch, so you may need to either replace the front sight, or carefully remove the rear sight and file some metal off the lower surface of the rear sight to enable it to crank down lower in the frame cut.

I use the small 7/32" aperture on my 6" and 7-1/2" barrels, and this helps alot for long range shooting. On the shorter barrel guns I stick to the issue sights.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ed,
I have the One Ragged Hole sights and they ,mounted fine on the SRH. I like to shoot them but, my groups string verticaly when I do. I've tried both size holes and a post front and a bead front to no avail. I am not the finest pistol shot in the world, but I do better with the Ruger rear with the square notch and the Ruger front in black.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts