Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm thinking about buying a Ruger 44 Mag in either the "standard" or "deerfield" carbine configurations. My question to yall is, how do the two models compare? I know they stopped making the "standard" (which is configured very similar to the 10/22) and then started making the "deerfield" model (which is configured very similar to the Mini-14).

Anyone out there have guidance on either of these? I've never been around either. I'd be buying this for my kids to someday use on TX whitetails and pigs at distances of 100 yards and less.

How do either do on accuracy? I used to have a Mini-14, and was underimpressed by its accuracy. I love my 10/22.

Any (helpful....) feedback would be welcomed.

Shane

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, that was a pretty helpful review of the deerfield carbine model.

anyone else out there with personal experience with either model?

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I have the Deerfield, mine shoots about 1.5" at 100 yards with the iron sights. The Deerfield has the avantage of a detachable magazine and much more reliable feeding than the carbine. Also, the Deerfield has integral scope mounts and takes the super sturdy Ruger rings if you decide to put a scope on one.

Its definitely reminiscent of the Mini 14, Garand, and M1A actions, but setting each side by side you'll see the differences.

Its a light sturdy gun, the .44 Mag is very tolerable in this Carbine.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have the old deerstalker and it shoots most loads into the same 1.5 inch groups. you can't run light loads in this gun meaning powder charge

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great feedback guys. I appreciate the help. I'll keep my eye out for a "bargain" on one (which is pretty hard to find these days....)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Had a Deerfield for a while. Its not meant for bench accuracy but I did have groups that generally ran 1.25-2 inches @100 yards. Dont know what style of hunting you do but its probably one of the handiest guns I've ever used for drives.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hunt fairly thick woods. A 100 yard shot on deer or pigs is long (and rare). With open sights, I limit myself to ~75 yards or so. A couple years ago, I watched a nice 8 pointer at about 150 yards, but didnt shoot, cause I had no confidence at that range.

I'd be using this rifle as a heavy woods, still hunting gun. Presently, I use a 44 Puma model 92, but I like the notion of faster follow up shots, without having to monkey with the lever.

I've always liked the function of the Ruger 44 carbine, but never have liked the overall looks of the gun. Perhaps the allure of the gun I dont have is all thats calling me towards it......

·
Registered
556 Posts
It depends

I picked up a mint used Ruger .44 Magnum Carbine with a scope off the used gun rack at a local gun shop. We cannot hunt with semi-auto rifles in Pennsylvania so I got it really cheap. When using reloads, it would not shoot Unique at all well. When I switched to IMR4227, things greatly improved. I used jacketed bullets and would use cast bullets and clean the gas port after shooting lead. Take care...
Oberndorf

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I tried out one of the older carbines with a variety of handloads and nothing did much better than paper plate accuracy at 100 yards. Some people in some situations would call that good enough but I got rid of it pretty quick.
I think if you practice a bit with your lever gun you'll find it just as quick as an auto. It takes a second to recover from recoil and regain your sight picture even with an auto, with the lever you use that second to work the action so there is really no time lost.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
the older version, "Deerstalker" needed stout loads to run right. Otherwise you get fail to fed and fail to eject.

·
Banned
425 Posts
Deer Stalker?

the older version, "Deerstalker" needed stout loads to run right. Otherwise you get fail to fed and fail to eject.
I have the old deerstalker and it shoots most loads into the same 1.5 inch groups. you can't run light loads in this gun meaning powder charge
For sure!
I have an old/older "deer stalker" I run stout loads and added an early style mini-14 butt pad that added 1 inch to the LOP and helps with the recoil, while not horrible it is much funner with the pad! Oh yeah and its wicked good to 125 yards all day! The deerfield 99/4s are nice, and so were 96/44s! There seems to alot of them out there so you should be able to find a deerfield, I would probably recomend this over the older model! But hey they are Rugers so they are all good! LOL

Seems they are pushing these now?
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/rotaryMagazine7744/models.html

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks guys. I'll keep my eye out for a really good deal on one.

that said, a "good deal" today is alot different than a good deal just a couple years ago.... glad I was mostly stocked up before our new President got elected....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts