Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Gone off to enjoy his twilight years
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out. This is one of the first production guns on special order from Lipsey's. Got it today.

You may now wipe the drool from your keyboards!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,101 Posts
Oh that is nice. But I would throw away those ugly stocks and make some out of mesquite..... :D :D :D

I think I want one!

·
Banned
377 Posts
I love the Bisley grip on my 44Mag Vacquero Bisley, takes the bite out of full house magnums. But I can't say the same for the hammer. I had a regular Vacquero hammer fitted. This one looks like a BH or Super BH hammer would be in order.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Am already waiting for my first exposure to a Flattop Bisley. It needs to join my other seven .44 specials. I got my first S&W in 1966 and my custom Blackhawk in 1975.

Rocky, tell me more about that holster and if its available in a crossdraw or high across the body draw.

·
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a custom holster, in a high-ride, canted crossdraw configuration. It's absolutely perfect for use in a vehicle or afield under a coat.

Alas, the maker is no longer in the business.

·
Inactive account
4,165 Posts
Wow! I have been waiting to see one and I am not disappointed. In fact, that is down right beautiful. I had considered one for carry since nothing seems to be coming down the pike in 44 spl ever again. I will just have to keep shooting my 44 mag. I sure do like that round and that is the perfect platform for it. Congrats!

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
Nice score Rocky! Good thing Ruger didn't slap a 7 1/2" barrel on that model. That one must be 4 5/8" seeing as how its flush with the ERH.

·
Banned
397 Posts
Real nice rig Rocky. I'm sure you will be
very happy with it. Try Keith 250 grain
bullets with about 7 grains of Unique. It
should be shooting clover leafs.

Zeke

Not my load. Found in just about every loading manual.

·
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll mostly be shooting 215 SWC, 240 SWC and a limited-run 265 RNFPGC bullet I cast myself. I also have some 240 FP plated bullets and a few JHPs - but I generally don't shoot anything but lead bullets in my Specials.

·
Banned
397 Posts
I hope those bullets work for you Rocky. I have a
tricked out old model Vaquero and after trying every
load in the book the only one it would shoot was the
cast 250 Grain Keith with 7 grains of Unique. It was
amazing how badly the other stuff shot and how great
the Keith bullets shot. Night and day.

Zeke

·
Banned
167 Posts
Just out. This is one of the first production guns on special order from Lipsey's. Got it today.

You may now wipe the drool from your keyboards!
I picked mine up yesterday, and I'm just headed out to load some Keith bullets for it. My regular flattop .44 Special could use a bit higher front sight so I've been shooting the lighter 200's, and 215's in that. I'm hoping this one will be regulated welll enough to use all the bullets I cast.

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
I sure wish the board allowed me to advertise my patent pending keyboard drool-remover. I'd be retired like you Rocky!

Real "handy looking" firearm and holster there.

Your thread got me looking at reload data for 44 special. I noticed that Lyman #49 lists two barrel lengths in their testing (4" and 7 1/2").

Can't tell what barrel they used for what data with just my reading glasses.
I'll switch to binoculars as time pemits.

Cheezywan

·
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here's the frustrating part: my usual range is still closed for snow - and will stay closed until it's not only melted but DRY! My other local range is only open on weekends during winter, and the indoor range doesn't allow lead bullets - so now that I have most of my photos done, I have to stare at this thing UNFIRED for another week!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.