Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I"m just wondering if anyone has a gunsite scout in 223 preferably and what they did for a scope. Im leaning more toward the forward mounted scope but a good intermediate over the receiver wouldnt break my heart either. Thanks in advance for the input.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Since it is a scout I think at least in my opinion I think they look better with a forward-mounted optic or a nice smaller Red Dot. Burris made and AR 132 I believe they discontinued those for the AR 332. If you can find the first one which originally sold for $300 I think I'd give it a shot. It's 4 Moa both Red and Green Dot really nice and of course it's made specifically for your caliber. Right now if you look hard enough you might get lucky and find them for around $120 maybe even a Tad less. I think I saw them on eBay or Amazon fairly cheap some gun shops that still have them in stock that paid the original price they're still asking anywhere from $200 and up. Good luck I hope this helps.
Jim

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
Since it has the ghost ring rear sight, doesnt that rule out an over the receiver scope? The Gunsite scout with its rail is setup for an intermediate eye relief scope. Depending on what your intentions are with the rifle I'd look at a good quality 1-4 variable and use quick detachable rings.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Yes, you must pull the rear sight to mount the scope.
I installed a 2.5x Burris forward mount scope on my .308. I'm very pleased with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with the ier scope especially in the Burris 2x7 I think the IRA leave this somewhere between 9 and 10 inches. As far as having to remove the ghost ring I have a sightron 4 x 16 - 50 approximately 12 in my opinion I'd like to put it back on my 300 WMG and go with a true Scout scope. When I installed it on my Scout rifle I did not have to touch the ghost ring

·
Registered
71 Posts
First of all, get an XS Long Rail which extends to the rear over the receiver and has a ghost ring with a larger aperture then the OEM. Then you can mount a scope either in the front, which would be the correct way or to the rear for those with poor eyesight.
I had been looking at a Burris Mtac 1x-4x 24mm for $299, but then I discovered it had a thick reticle which slightly obscured target.
In addition to this scope, I also wanted to get an AR-PEPR QD Mount 30mm which was half price @ Amazon. I really like the mount, but still looking for a scope for it that would fit it and above the rear ghost ring.

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
Mounting the scope above the ghost ring would defeat the total layout of the rifle, in my opinion. Instead of being able to snap the rifle to the shoulder and firing, head would be upright, unsupported by the stock searching for the reticle.

·
Registered
935 Posts
My Ruger Scout rifle is in 308 but otherwise very similar. The key, IMO, is how versatile the rifle is. I do prefer the Burris 2X7 Scout scope over the rest but... You can take that off and mount a red dot. Or you can take that off and mount a standard scope... big or small. If you are looking for maximum performance in twilight conditions the Scout Scope design is not not best (though I find the Burris 2X7 to be good enough). So far though the Burris 2X7 Scout Scope has taken hogs day and night and does MOA out of 500 yards off a bench.

So, my suggestion is pick one, take your best shot and always remember you can change it over or change it back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts