Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want some info on the 2 guns. Not sure which one to buy. I'm sure both are great guns but was looking for anyone that can chime in that owns one. Which one and why? Thanks

·
Registered
491 Posts
Want some info on the 2 guns. Not sure which one to buy. I'm sure both are great guns but was looking for anyone that can chime in that owns one. Which one and why? Thanks
I got the LCR 38 spl with XS tritium sight last August. I got it for my daughter. She liked it when she tried it in the shop. I was not too keen on a plastic framed revolver, however after using it, I like it a lot now. It is certainly light weight. The tritium sight is great at night. I carry it frequently at night around the farm when I can not see regular sights. It is so light weight that I will forget that it is there. Oh, my daughter still likes it and one of the other daughters is taken with it too so I may buy her another one(she was using an SP101). It is accurate at spitting distance=20 feet. Not as good as the 3" SP101 at longer distance. The XS sight is very easy to see. I think the extra money for that sight is worth it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Went through this last year with a gun for my wife. Finally decided on the Smith(M649?) titanium frame, hammerless, Hogue grips, she likes it better than the Ruger, even though the Ruger had a lighter trigger pull. The Smith is a bit more concealable and she thought more controllable, not much for sights, but then, it's not a target gun. She likes it, so she carries it and practices with it, so it was the right choice for her. Good luck.

·
Inactive
645 Posts
I have an LCR and love it. Fits my hand and you will get over the polymer frame quick enough when you first shoot it. Recoil is extremely manageable, minimal muzzle flip, and an excellent trigger. The bodyguard did not fit my hand nearly as well as the LCR. Plan on getting another at some point, but the one chambered for the 357 mag.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Smith vs. Ruger

It's ironic that Smith's little 38 seems tougher to me than the plastic Ruger. Usually, Ruger's stuff is made tough.

I would go with the Smith. As for a Bodyguard, I'm not huge into those. Yet more plastic and why? For less than a pound difference? Nah. I like the 638 and the M&P 340. You can get a 638 for $375 if you shop around. The M&P is more costly, but lighter and it is made of metal and not plastic.

Ruger's LCR is bulkier, heavier, and made of plastic. Yes, some people like them, but I would go with the tried and true Smith. I have shot both, and I own a Smith Airweight. I would not buy the LCR, personally. Why own plastic if it is heavier than metal? Granted the Smith is aluminum, but it will not rust. Also, I believe Ruger discontinued the boot grip, which did not grab pocket fabric as much. Now, Ruger is selling the rubber grips only, and those are clothing grabbers. Good luck pulling out a Hogue Tamer in a hurry. It will Tame you more than the perpetrator who is threatening your well being. The Crimson Trace grips are nice, but they up the price by about $270 more (you can buy those separately at Gunbroker.com, by the way, for $230, but then you've got shipping to deal with).

I owned a 340PD and enjoyed it. I sold it because I wanted a steel cylinder. The PD is very light and shoots great, as long as the shooter takes special care to clean the cylinder differently from steel.

Whatever you buy, get a trigger job! Smith Airweights are notorious for heavy pulls. My 340 was up to 15 pounds before I got it fixed. That is some ugly pull, let me tell you. I felt like a Wild West Dentist pulling a tooth with pliers every time I tried to pull that trigger.

The Ruger LCR has a better trigger than the Smiths, but it, too, could use some work.

I suppose the Bodyguard is a good deal considering it has a laser. Still, for that price, it can't be a very good laser. If you can afford it, find a used M&P 340 on Gunbroker. One of those can be had for around $500 without the fancy-schmancy laser, which, in my opinion, is all for the intimidation factor anyway. It's in the "bells and whistles" category for me. I own one on my M&P 340 and I rarely practice with it. In close quarters, it's better not to even bring the gun all the way up to your eyes, anyhow. Takes too long. And if you are aiming way down the street at someone, then you are probably going to jail if you hit them. In your house, you are so close, you will not usually benefit from sighting down the barrel at an intruder. Anyhow, this is all academic. I just think lasers are over rated. In a dark house, they will give away your location to the bad guys if you turn it on, and once it's on, it's hard to turn off. If you go to squeeze your trigger, there goes that laser. "Zing! Hello!" You might as well wear a Christmas Tree light on your head that says, "Here I am!"

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
It's ironic that Smith's little 38 seems tougher to me than the plastic Ruger. Usually, Ruger's stuff is made tough.
go with the Smith. As for a Bodyguard, I'm not huge into those. Yet more plastic and why? I guess you've owned one so you're one up on me. But Ive watched a lot of gun scribes shoot it on tv(some diehard smith guys) and they said it was the most accurate snuuby they ever shot--and had the best trigger. It's also +p rated. You can bet Ruger has tried to blow them up. Ruger and weak ? Not likely! :eek:

·
Registered
98 Posts
conceal carry .38

Hey Gunpa,

Good to hear from you!!! I own a Ruger 454 Alaskan, so I know the strength of a Ruger. I shoot 454 when most people stick with heavy 45, so know my way around heavy guns. For a conceal carry option, I think the LCR is clunky. The Smiths are sleaker and more concealable.

When it comes to guns, it's all about the job they are designed to do. I have a .44 Super Redhawk with a 7.5" barrel that I regularly shoot +P+ mag through because I hunt with it and I need to practice with hunting rounds from time to time.

Not so for 38+p. A plus p 38 round is just not that powerful and the gun does not need to be built like a tank. Even with the plastic, Ruger still overdesigned the LCR, IMHO. It's just a little too bulky fer ma britches.

I also have an SP101 that I shoot +P+ 357 through. It can take it, and then some! I carry that hiking when I'm carrying a pack.

For conceal carry, I do not believe Ruger has the edge. The LCR is bigger, with grabby snaggy rubber grips, and made of plastic. I would not buy one, and I have never owned one, but I have shot two of them. They are fun to shoot, and I trust their reliability, but they are goofy and clunky. I must say design-wise, they leave something to be desired in terms of appearance as well. I love the design of my Alaskan. It's my favorite gun. But not for concealed carry. End of story. Thanks for your ideas. You raise some great points.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I own a new S&W Bodyguard 38 Spl. It is the best shooting J Frame revolver I have ever fired. Granted I have only owned 6 J Frames and only fired a few others over the past 30 years, but I still think it's a darn good revolver.

·
Banned
267 Posts
I do not understand why anybody would want a plastic revolver.

Let the Bottom Feeder boys stick with their tactical tupperware in their chunky framed bullet hoses and stop insulting the tried and true wheelgun with plastic.....

If you require something lighter than a Chief or SP, look into one of the aluminum or titanium frame Smiths or Tauruses or Charters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.