Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the range today with my blackhawk 44 mag 10 1/2" barrel. Shooting good groups, after about 100 rounds the hammer wouldnt cock. Upon investigation It was found my transfer bar broke and was jamming the action.Removed broken part, hammer works fine. Is this something I can replace or better off giving It to Ruger. First firearm ever to break. Is this a common problem with ruger blackhawks, ? firearm approx 15 years old.

·
Banned
169 Posts
I would call Ruger and tell them about your problem. They will want you to send the gun in to be repaired but chances are if you have not abused the gun they will fix it free (don't quote me on that) but if they find the metal to have been weak, or some other manufacturing defect they should repair free of charge. The worst you will probably be out is the cost of shipping it to them. Sean

·
Banned
738 Posts
buford1,

If your confident in your ability to disassemble and reassemble your Ruger, order a couple transfer bars from Brownell's. They are a universal fit so you just R & R them.

You are one of several posters this year that have had transfer bars break.
I have an extra one from years ago just in case. Even tho I don't currently own a NM.

I'm not suggesting that you don't send the gun to Ruger, but it would cost much less to order a couple transfer bars from Brownell's, ( $7.24) than it would to ship the gun to Ruger.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Call Ruger

My experience with Ruger Customer Service is very good. Call them. If its a part you can install yourself, they will mail it to you no cost. When I call them, they never ask how old the gun is, what the serial number is or anything. Just what part is broken.

When the firing pin spring broke on my Mark 2, I called and they sent me 3 of them. When I shot the little metal spring retainer off my kp95, I called and they sent a whole new chamberblock assembly with a new spring.

At worst all they will say is send it to us. Worth the dime (or dollar).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts