Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to get a Ruger .22 mag Lever gun. I am interested to know what anyone who owns and shoots one has to say about the rifle. I have three 10/22's and all are very accurate little rifles,that accuracy of the little Rugers and it being a Lever Gun has me really looking hard at this rifle........

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
They are discontinued, so snap one up if you find one. They are a bit wide for a lever gun, but are very reliable and most people report good accuracy with them. Ruger's rotary magazine is a huge advantage in this lever gun, they are cheap and allow very quick reloads and are very reliable.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ruger 22Mag Lever Gun

I have had one of these for some years.Some minor work can improve accuracy.
1. Trigger job.
2.Remove barrel band or cut the over barrel portion.
3. Shim up under the flat of the action and ensure there is barrel to stock clearance.
These will significantly shrink groups.
Finally ammunition by various makers must be trailed on paper.There is a noticeable between brands.
I found the PMC 40gr SP the best killer on dog size animals and small pigs. The SP HP appear to expand quicker and have less penetration.Not my choice for the mentioned animals
The 22mag is not a top performer on paper but when reworked has accuracy suitable for hunting. Ok as a 100yd gun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just started shooting a model 96, I've found it to be super accurate for an open sight, the short throw lever is a breeze to crank. I wish there was a higher capacity rotary magazine though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
M96/22 Ruger.

I've owned a M96 Ruger 22 LR for over 10 years and it's been one of the best rifles I've ever owned . I've shot it in 3 Australian National Lever Action Comps and it's given many a Marlin 39A a run for it's money , and shoots as well as my old Browning BLR 81 222 . It's been fully bedded in , had lead rods put into rear stock to give it balance . It has a Williams foolprof rear app , with a Lyman forsight .

So the 22 mag would be just as good a rifle for Comp or Hunting .

·
Registered
77 Posts
22 Mag Lever 96/22

Following on from a previous post,I found that on paper a friend's tuned up 96/22LR outshot the 22Mag off the bench on a calm day out to 50yds with high velocity CCi and Winchester. Nothing much in it at 75yds the LR had the edge.. I did not trial at 100yds. Both scopes were set at 4x.

Bring on some wind conditions then the 22mag won the day and shot well enough at 100yd. This applied to hunting rabbit size animals for the table with head shots.

My conclusion is the 22Mag is a reliable hunting rifle that has the potential to perform on shots taken as they come from all positions in the field.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I agree, out to 50 yards, there is no appreciable accuracy difference, the .22 WMR still holds a significant energy advantage though. Past 50 yards, the .22 LR is effective, but the .22 WMR is a significant advantage.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
found another 96/22mag

I stumbled on another 96/22mag brand new in box. I think every man or woman ought to have two of these little jewels. I think I will buy it too...............

1 - 8 of 8 Posts