Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
putting this one on my wish list, i want to get it in 416 ruger the stainless steel version, was wondering if anyone has used it... I was wondering what the recoil pad is like.. if it is any good. Also was wondering where I can get some scope rail or bases for it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I suspect it is their standard factory recoil pad. If so, it is a little bit better than a steel buttplate. Scrap it and buy a Limbsaver!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sortof off topic, but I have to applaud Winchester for putting a Pachmayr recoil pad on the new M70's...wish more rifle companies did that. Sure, it puts your price up a bit, but you end up selling with a better product.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea most stock pads on rifles are stiff as a brick, especially the heavy kickers. Marlin just started putting pachmayr decelerator pads on their new .45-70 SBL model and XLR and i believe GBL, but I could be wrong on the last 2

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it looks like such a handy rifle for north american hunting and also africa. From black bears to grizzlies to big moose and bison to elk, even whitetail- little overkill but oh well. short 20" barrel the more i see it the more I want it lol

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,660 Posts
Here, here. The stuff that Winchester was using in the 1980's pretty much resembled red concrete......

·
Registered
288 Posts
It has a better recoil pad than they have used in the past. As said before it comes with very good rings. No need to change them. I own one in a 375 ruger and I love it. Shoots very well and is handy as heck. Got a conquest on top and it makes for a deadly package. Will shoot moa or better when doing my part. Trigger is decent, finish is ok. Stock is very grippy, which I like. Good gun at a good price.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It says the barrel is stainless steel, but it looks like they coated it with something, so the whole action and barrel is real stainless steel with that coating? Thanks Bro.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I think the integral rings on the Ruger are the greatest thing since sliced bread! You will not be disappointed with that rifle.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Its 100% stainless, but as you noted its got a coating because even stainless steel isn't maintenance free.

If you buy a new one before the end of the year, Ruger is also going to keep you warm with a free Carhartt coat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts