Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a couple Ruger M77 (260 and 243) and multiple loads worked up, depending on if it's me using it for short-range deer, me using it for coyotes, or the kids using it for target shooting.

I've got multiple sets of rings and an extra scope or two laying around. Are the rings going to seat in the same place on the receiver closely enough that I can have different scopes sighted in for different loads, and then just switch them out, rings and all, without re-sighting in?

Or would I be better off leaving the scope on the gun and just learning how many clicks to adjust for different loads?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Any time your remove a scope even with rings and reinstall the scope the point of impact can and usually will change. This is true of all scopes except specially designed scope mounts that have a quick relase and relocking system. I carried a M14 in Vietnam that had a scope mounting system that probably cost the government big bucks where you could remove the scope and install a starlite scope at night and they would hold zero.

But any system were you remove a scope and reinstall the rings and mounts with screws will ususally not hold zero.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Jakeway,
Good cautionary advice from fyimo. However, you never know for sure until you try, and if I were you, I'd try it with your scopes and rifles and switch them out. Never know when you might get lucky and your point of impact doesn't change much when you switch. At least the two action lengths are the same, although I'd be surprised if you got really good repeatable accuracy when switching.

Edit: I assume you're going to keep the Ruger rings/bases on the scopes when switching, rather than keep the Ruger rings/bases on the rifles and only switching the scopes?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,433 Posts
Weaver bases usually will, and they're cheap enough to experiment with. Just be sure to push them forward as you tighten the big knobs on the side. Do each one a little at a time, vs. running one all the way down and then the other.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
You might as well try it, I've removed scopes and stored them for a couple of years and put them on a different gun and the zero hasn't changed.

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
I took my no-name-brand scope (with rings) off my Rem 30-06 one day to do some work around the breech. The bases (and rings) were the Weaver style with the crosswise groove that indexes with the bolt or screw under the rings. When I put it back on, it was off only about an inch to the right at 100 yards. Not bad. It might have been a tad off vertically too but, if so, it wasn;t much or I would've remembered it.

·
Banned
490 Posts
I have popped my Ruger Rings on and off quite often and it has always been close when returned...within an inch at 100 yds. or less. You have to be careful to seat the big screw that attaches the ring to the integral base the same way every time. I always fire a shot or two to check, but usually don't need to make a correction, and if I do, it is only a couple of clicks. Your mileage may vary, of course.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Most people are saying it, and I'm on the same page. Two shots and a couple clicks and you should be back in business.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Or would I be better off leaving the scope on the gun and just learning how many clicks to adjust for different loads?

This is basically what I do for my 77/22. I've got a Leupold EFR scope on it with their "return-to-zero" dial. It's sighted in for 50yds and I add 5-1/2 min of elevation to zero it for 100yd with match .22LR rounds. My scope has a little arrow that you can adjust for whatever load/range your using and then turn it back to it's "0" setting. I have a Nikon scope with a similar feature.

If your scope doesn't have this extra "dial", but is a quality, repeatable scope, you could certainly try making note of how many minutes of elevation or windage for a given load. You'd just need to keep track of which load it's currently sighted-in for so. ...Try going back and forth, at the range, to make sure it's repeatable.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I agree with these comments and I didn't mean to imply that if you re install a scope and ring correctly that it would be way off but it will probably be off some as others have spoken above.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,433 Posts
Weaver bases usually will, and they're cheap enough to experiment with. Just be sure to push them forward as you tighten the big knobs on the side. Do each one a little at a time, vs. running one all the way down and then the other.

I overlooked that the thread was re: the Ruger 77 - and yes, I have removed / replaced the scope on a 77 with no issues holding zero. Weaver rings / bases have done the same for me on other rifles.

Same advice goes for the Ruger, push scope forward, and tighten screws evenly.

·
Banned
507 Posts
You might as well try it, I've removed scopes and stored them for a couple of years and put them on a different gun and the zero hasn't changed.
Isn't that why you got your Rugers? It won't change much if at all.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Isn't that why you got your Rugers? It won't change much if at all.
Well that can be one reason. I have a love for Rugers. They are built like tanks, smooth as silk, and drive tacks in steady hands. What is not to like ? Plus you get a very nice scope mounting system, that isnt held in by 4 tiny screws.

My .338, I took the scope off to give it a good cleaning. Put it back on and nothing changed at all.

Here is my trio

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I guess I should clarify, I mean that the zero hadn't changed significantly, as in more than a few inches.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Same here. I don't swap scopes, but I do take them off my 300 mag and 308 to clean them and I haven't experienced any noticeable shift in impacts. The Rugers are tanks and the mounting system is very stout. Scotty

1 - 15 of 15 Posts