Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been kicking around the idea of getting a Mark III for target shooting. Anyone have any experiance with them? Are they a pain to clean like I've heard? Just looking for a little info ahead of time. Thanks

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
I have the 22-45 MKIII and love it. Rugers are a little harder to completely field strip than other semi autos but not a big problem. I shoot my Ruger more than all the other 22 handguns.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jodum. My only experience with stripping a Ruger was while at my club one day talking to one of the more knowledgeable guys, another guy brought his over because he was having issues reassembling it, and they fought with it for about 25 minutes. Course, I guess once I get one and go through it a few times, it'll get a little easier.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,103 Posts
I have a Mark II. Appears that the procedure would be the same.... just follow the instructions in the user manual, shouldn't be a problem!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Again, thanks guys. Now I just gotta wait for Uncle Sam to send me my return so I can go out and get it

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
I've been kicking around the idea of getting a Mark III for target shooting. Anyone have any experiance with them? Are they a pain to clean like I've heard?
I have owned a MK I 6 7/8" Target, for I don't even know how long.

Of the .22 handguns I've ever owned, it is by far the most accurate, and the only one that's as reliable as my Single Six. It is a bit of a hassel pulling it down, but with the instructions on the bench, by no means difficult for anyone with a bit of mechanical aptitude.

What it will do, is shoot relaibly, for more rounds, than any other semi-auto .22 handgun. Pull the grips, give it a good dose of gun stripper, and relube with a small amount of aerosol lube, and it will go a long time between major cleaning effort.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm sure others will disagree, but I would go with a MK II. I have had a MK II for 25 years and it has been wonderful. About 2 years ago, I just had to have a MK III. It is NOT the equal to the MK II. The only reason that it still resides in my safe is because it was a special gift from my then-4 year old daughter. Had I bought it for myself, it would not have lasted the summer without being traded.

I advise everyone who wants one to take your time, and buy a good condition MK II.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I advise everyone who wants one to take your time, and buy a good condition MK II.
I will agree with you. I have an older MKII pistol that my kids and I have shot for years. Absolutely no problems with it at all! Steel frame, all steel internals; It just flat out works. By far the most accurate pistol I own, well except for maybe my Encore, but that is apples to oranges. I have handled several versions of the MK III and even shot a couple and was not impressed enough to buy one. I am sure they are a good gun, as Ruger is not known for producing poorly designed firearms, but I would really consider buying a good condition used MKII before purchasing a new MKIII anyday.

·
Registered
59 Posts
mtsurette,

I bought a new Ruger KMKIII678H a few months ago (MKIII 6 7/8” Stainless Hunter with fluted barrel). First thing out of the box I stripped and cleaned the gun. It took about 25 minutes or so because I was not following the instructions correctly.
I then took it out to the range for an initial break in session ~ 200-300 rounds of mixed .22 ammunition. No problems what so ever. No FTE’s, FTF’s, and both magazines worked fine.

I then put a Bushnell 2X6 scope on it with quick detachable rings. Then bought a holster and back to the range I went for round two to zero in the scope. After an additional 300 or so rounds down range, no problems what so ever.

My intentions are for small game hunting and punching paper.

There are a few changes to the MKIII versus the MKII (Loaded Cylinder Indicator, magazine release moved, gun will not fire with magazine removed). There are after market bushings, triggers, etc. to investigate if you want to modify your pistol.

I am very happy with my MKIII purchase – have no buyer’s remorse what so ever.

Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ruger MK22/45

Bought one for the kids. Like it so much I shoot it all the time. Look on UTube for cleaning. It is not a problem after you do it once. Just bought a Buck Mark I like it better then the Ruger.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I very nearly bought a MKIII a few years ago. Bought a Smith & Wesson 22A instead. I have a MKII that I really like, but I'll tell you: How that MKII behaves/functions now is very different indeed from how it behaved/functioned when new. It wouldn't shoot 50 rounds without having FTF and FTE problems when it was new. It was also a _pain_ to disassemble and reassemble.

Basically, it just needed to break in. With several hundred rounds through it, and several disassemblies/reassemblies, it improved significantly in terms of reliability and ease of operation and cleaning. It's not a pistol I've ever shot in large volume because it's a commemorative one. Still, this experience is yet another one that makes me wonder: Do we tend to like guns from 'the good old days' partly because they're well broken in, and they work better because of that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Mk III hunter that I love. The Hunter comes with a scope mount.

If you want to save money (on amunition) take a look at a stainless steel Single Six.

You just have to learn to strip the Mk III by following the directions. It's the only gun I own that I get out the instructions every time. The good news: complete cleaning is only occasionally required.

Red dot sights make both of these guns tackdrivers.

Fourbits

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been using a modified (vq sear, clark style bushing, pre-travel stop) Mark III for awhile now for bullseye. 2# trigger, crisp, never fails....

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have a MKII and it is a great gun. I use it once a year or so, and unfortunately, I can't tell you the last time I cleaned it:eek:. I can't remeber the last time, if ever that I had a problem aka FTF FTE. My only regret is I didn't spend the couple extra pennies for stainless. That was just plain stupid.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I like the Mark II. I don't need the da&* loaded chamber indicator, or the ability to not be able to fire it with the magazine out. The relocated magazine release is okay, but the $3.00 extended release on my Mark II has worked fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I will confirm what most have said - I have a MK III 22-45 which I love and it shoots great. I have had I's II's and now III's - I can't figure out why I let my II go, it was wonderful. My current III is a slab-side with the 3 dot sight. Great for 65 year old eyes. I tried a Browning with Hi-viz sights - so-so - then I got new contacts ant the Hi-viz were fuzzy, I couldn't get a sharp sight picture, so I got the III. Don't use Remington ammo it is poor quality. Anyway that's my experience. The Pastor.

·
Banned
503 Posts
I have a Mark III Hunter. Very accurate, very pleasant shooting, not exactly the easiest to clean, but nobody's perfect. :)

I have a problem with mine. I think it leaks ammo. Every time I come back from the range I'm about 200-300 rounds lighter! ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts