Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I saw an ad posted at the shooting range Sunday. A guy is selling what he describes as a Ruger M77 MKII stainless in 30-06. It has a Simmons 3-9x40 (I believe) on it and the asking price is $475. The photo shows a nice, stainless Ruger with the black synthetic stock - the kind of stock where it's "dished out" with the "Ruger" logo inside the "dished" portion. Is that what people refer to as "boat paddle" stocks?

Anyway, I've looked in Ruger's catalog and can never find a rifle with one of those stocks. And the MKII rifles are all laminated wood stocks. Is it possible the rifle is an M77 Hawkeye? THe ad says he's selling it because the recoil is a bit much, and he's already bought a .243 which suits him better. He says the rifle only has a couple of boxes of ammo through it. I've called the fellow but we haven;t been able to get together where I can see the rifle yet.

The price sure seems right. What do you all think? ANd what are some things I might look out for when examining the rifle?

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I think that price is a little high, but guns are pretty plentiful around here.

That is a M77MKII, they were a limited run from the mid 90s to the early 2000s

Ruger made MKIIs in regular synthetic stocks, walnut and laminated wood.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
You mean it looks like this ?

Thats a normal going price for those rifles. Same thing I paid for my .338. You can find them cheaper, but you also see them sold for a lot more. Different areas, different prices. I say go for it, if the bore looks nice. Id like to have it in my collection, even if it is just an ole cruddy -06 :) By the way, these stocks are known for hurting people. The recoil pad is nothing but hard rubber, and the back of the stock is so thin, that there is not much area to spread the force over. If he thinks the .30-06 is bad, he should fire some full power 225 grainers out of a .338 Win Mag version :D

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
some people think that the recoil is more noticable with that particular stock due to the narrow comb... regardless of ones opinion of the stock those are excelent rifles and the new style factory synthetic stock is available from brownells for about $65.00 if you prefer a more conventional looking stock.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,671 Posts
Makes my shoulder hurt to look at them!!!! Believe the reputation on recoil. A friend (and he's really not that recoil shy) got his .30-06 ported because it kicked so bad.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Makes my shoulder hurt to look at them!!!! Believe the reputation on recoil. A friend (and he's really not that recoil shy) got his .30-06 ported because it kicked so bad.
My 7mm Rem Mag isn't that bad. The .300 Win Mag demands a little more attention to the way you hold it. The .338 Win Mag can be plain brutal if you let it. Oddly enough, once the .338 is strapped into the Hogue stock, it weighs more than my Sendero and is a dream to shoot.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I shot a gun like that at the range one day in 7 mag and it was not pleasant. It was a good feeling rifle though. You can get accustomed to the recoil.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Tang has a Limbsaver on his, and it turns them into a completely different gun.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Yea, the picture above was when I first got the 7 mag. The .338 is in a Hogue stock, the .300 has a Decelerator (not that great) on it, and the 7 mag has a Limbsaver (best recoil pad out there). It does make a HUGE difference. All 3 of my rifles are great shooters.

·
Banned
1,510 Posts
I havent noticed the boat paddle stocks emmiting more recoil. I get little red lines on my shoulder, but as hard as the recoil pad is that happens when im simply shouldering the gun.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Bark, Shoot a .338 Win Mag in your boat paddle, then fire a Ruger MkII or Hawkeye in the same caliber, in the more traditional synthetic stock. You will notice a big difference.

·
Banned
1,510 Posts
Bark, Shoot a .338 Win Mag in your boat paddle, then fire a Ruger MkII or Hawkeye in the same caliber, in the more traditional synthetic stock. You will notice a big difference.
Yeah, i suppose i just have nothing to compare the boat paddle with, in that case with a traditional stock and a limbsaver, may as well move up to a .338-378wby, be my 1000 yard crow gun.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Yeah, i suppose i just have nothing to compare the boat paddle with, in that case with a traditional stock and a limbsaver, may as well move up to a .338-378wby, be my 1000 yard crow gun.

Hey now, don't be stealing my big plans ! But don't forget to remove the Accubrake. Only weenies use those !

Here is a newer pic of the 7mm Rem Mag, as the wife shoots it now.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,671 Posts
Tang would have to move up to a 105mm to feel recoil.... :D

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I'm pretty used to 30-06 recoil, though I admit I've never felt it from one of those stocks. Yes Tang, that's the stock type he has on his rifle.

Bad news though. I got ahold of the fellow tonight to see if we could get together and see the rifle. He said he thought about it some more and, after talking it over with his wife, decided he doesn;t want to sell it. I was all ready to give him pretty much what he asked for, and maybe the entire price if the rifle was as nice as he advertised it to be. So...... back to the Marlin 336 .35 project, I suppose.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I always think about selling guns, then when I try to put a value on them they are worth more to me than I am asking. I really need to be more impulsive.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I bought a 223 --77 about 9 yrs ago for 449.

What is a good product to refurbish those stocks. Mine is looking kinda gray..

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
You could try an epoxy paint (not cheap stuff) they are much harder and will last longer. I would lightly buff the surface with a steel wool or fine sandpaper first then wipe with alcohol to clean any contaminants off.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have a Ruger MKII in 30-06 with the boat paddle / skeleton stock sitting in the gun safe. Used it on a bear and a couple whitetails, This thing shoots 1/2 in at 100yards but kicks like a mule. I rarely use it, spending most of my time with the .280 or the 35 whelen in Hawkeye instead. Even with the whelen at max load it does not come anywhere near the punishment that hatchet head 06 hands out. If it did not shoot so darn good I would of dumped it long ago. I have a limited edition MKII in 35 whelen that had the same boat handle stock. That was changed out with a bell and carlson the next week. Another MKII with boat handle stock that shoots under 1in at 100yards. I would seriously consider switching out the stock if you pick it up. Also I have not found anything that really works at restore these the skeleton stocks once they get that glaze / oxidation on them. Good luck GF

1 - 20 of 25 Posts