Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just acquired a MKII target pistol with the 5 1/2 bull barrel. Haven't shot it yet but do have a couple questions.

Do these favor a particular type of ammo or is it a case of finding what this pistol likes?

I'm looking at holsters. Haven't decided yet on a shoulder rig or belt carry, prefer leather. Any recommendations from those who have something they like?

·
Super Moderator
13,444 Posts
They prefer .22 long rifle. ;)

These guns are well-known for being able to digest about anything. A friend of mine runs a brick of Blazer through his every week to keep his trigger finger in tune at minimum cost. After several years he still has no problems, though he does find he has to clean it several times a year.

I have a predecessor (Mk I) bull barrel that shoots the very tightest groups with subsonic hollow points, except that an occasional flier will ruin some groups. CCI Standard Velocity has proven to be the most consistent and reliable in mine, and always shoots X-ring size groups easily at 25 yards off bags. Remington has proven the most unreliable insofar as having duds. I have some European rifle match ammo with exceptionally blunt noses that will occasionally fails to feed in the Ruger, but its the only one?

Never owned a holster for either of Rugers. I expect I would look at the modern plastic ones from the standpoint that I'd feel funny if the cost of my rig exceeded the cost of my gun, but YMMV.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,718 Posts
I use an Uncle Mike's nylon (?) holster, but not sure which one. Actually, those are forgiving enough that as long as it's close, it's good enough for most purposes, especially the ones that are open at the bottom. Adjust the strap and go.

As my usual .22 rimfire rifle load is CCI Mini-Mags, that's what gets shot in my 22/45 Mark II as well. It will get down around an inch at 25 yards on a good day, and anything that shot better would probably be a waste unless I learn to shoot better. Hit a rabbit in the head 25-30 yards away, once. No complaints!

Gave my wife a brick of Winchester bulk hollow points for her standard model Mark II (actually a 50th anniversary model to be exact) and so far they seem to shoot good. Haven't seriously bench tested it, though. They do feed and eject just fine.

·
Banned
421 Posts
I have 3 MK series guns, and they all like CCI SV for accuracy, and they don't like Remington bulk, like Nick told you about his. I recommend you try a bunch of different ammo and I'm sure you will find a HV load that will be accurate and powerful enough for hunting.
As far as holsters go, Uncle Mike's is a great suggestion. If you want leather take a look at Triple K products that are carried by most retailers. They make good quality rigs for the MK series at reasonable prices.

Sorry, I had to edit the name of the holster mfg from Circle K to Triple K. Hope that didn't mess anyone up!

Terry

·
Registered
18 Posts
HI, Ialso use a Uncle Mikes holster for the same gun,its a sidekick size 6.My target model 5.5 bullbarrel came with a sharp edged undercut front sight that tends to snag coming out of this holster.I replaced it with the standard ramp front sight from a single six.This sight works nice in this holster and shoots fine to.Don't know if their still available, but I got a 12shot plastic Ramline magazine, Much easier to load than the oem mag, and no problems. Hopes this helps. Paul

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all who replied. I have several bricks of assorted ammo so will start there. Yes UN, it's .22 long rifle... :eek:

When I get the chance I will check out the holsters recommended.

Paul I see what you are talking about with the undercut front sight. I have a single six in .22 mag but it's over at mom's place. Just from recollection, the MarkII barrel is considerably bigger in diameter. Doesn't that cause a problem using a sight with a smaller radius?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Monty, your right about the front sight, it contacts the barrel on the outer edges with a slight gap in between, but I doubt anybody would notice it, if they werenot looking for it. I just put mine on, with the single screw,shot it, liked it, and used it that way for the past 25 yrs. Paul

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Triple K makes some that fit well, but you might need a custom built rig for your specific gun.

I have several MKIIIs and I shoot a lot with them, I shoot Bullseye and Steel Challenge and I have optics and irons. They are my favorites to shoot.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have the same MK II. Like the guys said, they will shoot just about anything. I traded a MK II standard model in on the bull barrel model, I wish I had kept both.
I never got serious about seeing what rounds mine is the most accurate with, offhand, it is more accurate than I am, anyway.
I just use a generic nylon shoulder holster, but don't holster carry it often at all.
I use a HKS magazine loader with my Ruger, only took me about 22 years to get one, I don't know how I didn't wear my thumb out loading the magazines without it.

Andy

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
"Do these favor a particular type of ammo or is it a case of finding what this pistol likes?"
Mine likes CCI SV. I tested about a dozen types of .22 when I bought it - a long time ago now. I ended up with CCI. Accurate, affordable.
The gun, however, shoots most ammo quite well.
Pete

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went to town yesterday and looked at holsters. I ended up buying a Bulldog #FSN-21. It's a padded nylon style, has belt loops for left and right carry, a pouch for the extra mag and a spring steel thumb break tab. It was listed for 5" - 6 7/8" barrels. The 5 1/2" barrel on mine comes right even to the open end of the holster. It was $14 and change. Looked at some leather and didn't care for what I seen and they were 3x the money.

·
Banned
40 Posts
I have a Mark 11 target. Feeding wise it will take anything, but some of the cheap bulk ammo lacks consistency, which may result in occaisional failure to cycle. You will know these when you pull the trigger- more of a pop than a bang.For quality and consistency I have allways prefered CCI.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I have a couple of M II , one of which is a Slabside target model on which I have a 2x Leupold scope.

The scope has the paralax set to 25yds, and with the ammo it likes, which you need to test to find out, it will shoot 10 shots into a ragged hole at 25yds.

Great guns.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've got a MKII with the bull barrel in stainless, overall I'm pretty pleased with it (although I do have problems with the Remington bulk).

My only real complaint with the gun is get it to go back together again. I broke it down to the four basic pieces to clean, and I can't get it back together right.

Is there a trick to this (the trigger sear is in the right place, the pin that goes up thru the barrel/receiver tends to slide out when I try to put it back together)? I'm about to the point of taking it to a gunsmith to put it back together and trading it for a revolver.

As for a holster, I make my own.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,718 Posts
Yes, you have to turn it over in a certain sequence so that the hammer strut goes back in the right spot. Then turn it back over and continue.

Directions in the Ruger manual are straightforward and easy to follow. I'm away from my manuals for that gun so can't get much more helpful than that. But it is a simple procedure.

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was warned not to take the pistol apart by a friend. Never being one to take good advice I tore it down. After fiddling around a few minutes I got the thing back together.

The hammer link is the only issue a person might have going back together. The hammer has to be in the fired position and the link toward the rear. The tip of the hammer link fits into the oval socket on the mainspring housing. Holding the pistol barrel up helps keep everything in place while latching the housing into place.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Okay, okay. RTFM to the max.

I thought I had it figured out, got it back together again ONCE. Believing in repeatability, I took it apart again. Three days later.....

Went out this evening, had dinner with the wife and both kids (for once). Nice evening. Came home, saw the pistol sitting where I left it, in the four major components. I refered to the manual one time, and got it back together correctly.

Just to prove it to myself, I just took it apart and put it back together 10 time. The key seems to be, as Monty said, keep the barrel up. The resistence I was finding before only occured with about a quarter of an inch to go.

Funny how a nice dinner, glass of wine, a review of the owners manual and a bit of patience can change your whole attitude towards some things......

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After all this time I finally took the MarkII out this last weekend while camping. After tweeking with the sites some it was hitting golf ball sized targets consistantly at 25 yards. Still haven't had a chance at serious target shooting. This was with Federal bulk ammo.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts

Hi Folks,
Am new here and really like the Ruger Mark II & III pistols. This holster is made by Black Dog Machine in Idaho. It holds the pistol real well so I don't need to worry about it spilling out when running around the course at some of the modified, action fun-shoots we have around here.

~Later,

1 - 20 of 44 Posts