Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ruger Mark2 in 338/7mm Mag bolt

I'm just wondering if anybody out there is familiar with this Model rifle, the mark two is this years model,any good or bad info on it is welcome. Suggested retail is somewhere around $760.00, at gun stores $560.00 , I have owned a few Rugers in my time but never a rifle other than a 10/22 22LR, all handguns;) and I liked them all and still own them. Thanks on any info. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
That seems a little high. Have seen them at the gun shows under $500. My 338 is a Mark I, so it's a tang safety on the rear of the action not the three position safety on the bolt per the Mark II.

One other difference, Ruger hammer-forges their own barrels now, not purchasing them from other suppliers which was done back in the Mark I era.

Finally got around to free-floating my Mark I, shot it this weekend in cold, drizzling weather. 3 shots in about 1.5" at 150 yards with Fed. Premium 210gr Nosler Partition, and same group size with cheap white-box Winchester 225gr. soft points at that range also.

Other than not having the adjustable trigger of the Mark I, I would think that the Mark II should suit the purpose just fine. The stainless/synthetic should be a good combo for all-weather hunting.

I do like the integral bases & ring design of the Ruger rifles. They return to zero just fine after detaching scope.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I agree with MikeG, the price seems high. In my neighborhood you can find 77 mkII's in common calibers priced in the mid $400's and sometimes lower.

As far as the rifle itself, I bought my mkII .270 a couple years ago. My only complaint was that trigger pull was heavy. There are several manufacturers of aftermarket trigger springs though. The Ruger trigger is incredibly simple. The springs are a piece of cake to replace. If you are not comfortable working on a trigger yourself any reputable gunsmith can improve the trigger alot for not much $$. My rifle is plenty accurate and handles well. IMO the Ruger 77 mkII is one of the best values out there. They are often priced similar to Rem 700 ADL's but offer more features such as a hinged floorplate and integral scoperings.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guy's for the info, I did called another place(Kittery trading post) in Maine, who I deal with as well, they said for the Ruger M77 Mark2 338 mag SST sited barrel, synthetic stock around $500.00...not bad, I really like Rugers, they seem to be rugged a built to last, sometimes even a little heavy framed due to the extra metal they provide for strength. One thing I can say is they shoot great:)and will last you a life time and then some, Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Ruger model 77 Mark2's are one of the best buys on the market for what you get in a rifle these days. Big extractor, 3 postition safety and control feed action. You can't best that with a drumstick.:D

·
Banned
548 Posts
Rambo -

I have a new Ruger stainless synthetic 338 and like it very much. Its a bit heavy, but that keeps recoil down. You really should be able to get one for $450 though.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,955 Posts
I agree - got a whole bunch or Rugers in rimfire, centerfire and handguns and really like them a lot.

A word of caution, tho - whatever you do, DON'T get the one with the skeleton synthetic stock! That thing will knock the slobbers out of anyone. The full synthetic is what you want.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys thanks for all your advice, sounds like a good rifle, I am sold, thanks on the hint on the skeleton stock, that makes sense;) does any one have the correct part no# to order this rifle, full synthetic stock/ss barrel with sights in 338 mag. This will be my heavy hitter along with my 450 Marlin guidegun. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Rmouleart - You can go online to the Ruger Website and the on-line catalog will list the correct part number for the rifle you want. I've got 3 Rugers and love them all. Just make sure the guys on the Marlin board don't see these posts about a little .338 :D :D CEJ...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
M77 Mark2 338Mag

CEJ I did just that, boy there is so many types;) I think I will get the SST with a Laminate stock, then go bye a Hogue stock for it, a nice scope, work up a good load for it, I like the fact the rifle is on the heavy side, this will help recoil, I may port the barrel if need be, can't wait, I'm like a little kid when it comes to guns&shooting;). Your right about the Marlin forum LOL. Lets go ask the guys of Bigboar Marlin if the 338 is a big boar, Ya right LMAO, this would really get them going huh;). Take care, Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
Banned
548 Posts
WHOA -

If you are going to ditch the stock and you want a SS Ruger 338, I will sell you mine. Has 35 honest rounds through it, because I bought a 338 RUM which I handload to cover the 338 Win. It does have the skeleton stock, and I would not recommend it to you unless you were to restock it.

Also, if you are going to restock, look once more at the Savage SS 338s. You will save enough over the Ruger to cover a new custom trigger set, and I believe have a better rifle (with the trigger set and new stock). You do lose the Ruger extractor, but the re-triggered Savages are what I see winning from the bench these days.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Loader thanks for the offer, email me what you want for it, do you also have the rings with that ruger. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts