Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
300 Win Mag

I mounted a Sightron 3 x 9 using Burris rings.

It took 2 shots to get it zeroed at 50 yards, then 1 more to zero at 100 yards. Much to my surprise.... The next three were in a neat little 1/2 inch group almost dead center at 100 yards.

I let it cool off for about 5 minutes and then my next 3 shots were in a one inch group about an inch higher than the first group. Hmmmmm

I was using cheap Federal ammunition, 150 grain Speer Hot-Cor bullets.

Anyway, the range was getting crowded and I thought that was good enough for the day.

I am happy with the groups, but I am also intrigued by the second group being higher. I will shoot it some more and see what happens, maybe free float the barrel if I need to or bed it under the chamber....I will let you guys know

·
Banned
1,510 Posts
After i shoot a group with my .338, i will wait 10-15 minutes to shoot again, if i am trying to see what type of grouping i can get. .300 Wm might even heat up the barrel more.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Unfortunately, the rotomolded plastic stocks used by most manufacturers these days aren't too strong, and tend to be a bit deformed, or not straight when they are assembled. They can start out with barrel pressure, and then move away from the barrel with heat, or sling pressure. If the rifle will shoot well free floated, I would go that route for consistancy. An easy way to try it is to put shims under the front of the receiver. That lifts the barrel out of the stock so you can see how it shoots that way.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Rugers are designed with a pressure pad in the front of the barrel channel and that group shooting higher is imo a result of the barrel heating up. Nothing wrong with your results as far as I can see. Just lat it cool a little longer between groups and you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i have a 300win mag, also a ss/synthetic ruger with the new style stock and it shoots great without anything done to the bedding. i'm getting 1/2'' groups with 165gr tsx bullets and 1" and less with 180gr speer hot cores.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts