Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a brand new Ruger Model 77 MK II in 300 Win Mag today for $300. I just could not pass it up. It is stainless with the synthetic stock. I hate to sound ignorant, but I have absolutely no experience with a Ruger rifles. Anybody else have one, how do they shoot,
tips, tricks, experiences....any info would be helpful. It seems solid as a rock, but I know already that the trigger has to go. I would like to get it all set up and ready for elk season as soon as the weather gets decent enough to go to the range. I would really appreciate any input you guys might have....Thanks

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,098 Posts
Wow. Sounds like a heck of a price. There should be aftermarket triggers available, if you can't get it to your liking.... not sure I'd pass one up at that price, either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Beartracker....

What is your load? I load a lot of 308 and 30-06, some 45-70. What powder are you using and have you shot them through a chronagraph?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Beartracker....

What is your load? I load a lot of 308 and 30-06, some 45-70. What powder are you using and have you shot them through a chronagraph?
Well if you have .30-06 load experience, the old standard IMR and H 4350 and 4831 seem to be very useful for .300 Win mag and 150, 165 and 180 grain bullets as well.

The Ruger M-77 are very well made guns. Tough. I love the integral mounting system. Triggers seem to be an issue. If they had just licensed to use Model 70 triggers.... Oh well, for what you paid, if the trigger doesnt feel good, get a good aftermarket one installed.

One thing, based on how my .30-06 with a carbon stock shoots, maintain good eye relief!

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
i have the same rifle, mine has the new style synthetic stock which shoots great in factory form. 180gr speer hot cores group right at 1" and the 165gr barnes tsx gives 1/2" groups with ramshot hunter.
as to the trigger, with about a half hours time with a good stone and clip a coil or two off the spring and you'll love it! i put a prefit limbsaver pad on it and it is a pussycat to shoot at the bench. i had my local gunsmith beadblast the barreled action, and i put a zeiss conquest 3x9 on it and absolutely love it, i don't shoot it a lot but it's a keeper!

·
Banned
991 Posts
Beartracker....

I got good results with H4831 and IMR7828. My hunting load is 76.2grs of IMR7828, Winchester brass, 215Fed primers and 180gr Accubond.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Accuracy seems to be an issue at times....

Are you for real ?

To the original poster, I have 3, M77 MkII's in SS and Synthetic. All three shoot 3/4" or better in the boat paddle stocks. My .300 Win Mag grouped 0.665" @ 100 yards, with 75.3gr of RL22 behind a 180gr Hornady Interlock. Primers were CCI250's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
M77... Trigger

I changed out the trigger return spring with the spring out of a ball point pen ( read it somewhere here on the internet ). Anyway....A MAJOR improvement. I will not be messing with the trigger again. :D

·
Registered
720 Posts
I just picked up a brand new Ruger Model 77 MK II in 300 Win Mag today for $300. I just could not pass it up. It is stainless with the synthetic stock. I hate to sound ignorant, but I have absolutely no experience with a Ruger rifles. Anybody else have one, how do they shoot,
tips, tricks, experiences....any info would be helpful. It seems solid as a rock, but I know already that the trigger has to go. I would like to get it all set up and ready for elk season as soon as the weather gets decent enough to go to the range. I would really appreciate any input you guys might have....Thanks

Wow great price. 300 bucks is an great deal.

I have a M77 300 Win, and like Tang's, it shoots less than 3/4" groups, and when I am really on at the range, it will go less than 1/2" closer to 1 ragid hole where 3 shots have ripped through it.

·
Banned
101 Posts
Are you for real ?

To the original poster, I have 3, M77 MkII's in SS and Synthetic. All three shoot 3/4" or better in the boat paddle stocks. My .300 Win Mag grouped 0.665" @ 100 yards, with 75.3gr of RL22 behind a 180gr Hornady Interlock. Primers were CCI250's.

Yeah babe.

M77 280, acceptable 1"-11/2"
7x57 #1 Crap until I got to 175 gr bullets
6mm tang safety, beauty
338 Win, boat paddle, dynamite
New M77 30-06, 3" was the best....bye bye '06

As is the case with a lot of older guns, they shoot better.

But for $300 I'd gobble that up quicker than snot and get'er figured out...

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have a customized M 77 MKII, I cannot speak to the barrel or the stock because mine have been replaced. I have a Rifle Basics trigger on mine and it is one of my nicest performing triggers. I love the Mauser style actions. It will shoot 1/2" and under if I'm doing my part.

$300 is hard to pass up on any newer good quality rifle, let alone a stainless version.

·
Banned
72 Posts
What a steal!!!Between my dad, brother and i we have 15......All of them are walnut blued but one.. its a 300wsm and we havent shot it much but it shot decent groups out of the box with a 3-9 leupold and winchester factories...The MKIIs def have trigger problems....toooo heavy.And we bedded all our woodstocks and they shot alot better.....With a good scope it should shoot fine theres alot of good factories out there so there should be something that it will like....Good luck!!!

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have one in stainless with a plastic stock....I had to work the stock a bit and the trigger is terrible but once I got it dialed in..it is a tack driver...I especially like the safety

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Yeah babe.

M77 280, acceptable 1"-11/2"
7x57 #1 Crap until I got to 175 gr bullets
6mm tang safety, beauty
338 Win, boat paddle, dynamite
New M77 30-06, 3" was the best....bye bye '06

As is the case with a lot of older guns, they shoot better.

But for $300 I'd gobble that up quicker than snot and get'er figured out...
No. 1 25/06 3/4"
M77 25/06 - 1/2"
M77MKII 25/06 - .333"
M77MKII .270 - 1"
M77MKII .280 .25"
M77MKII .350RM avg is .5, although I have one group that went .125"
M77/22 .22H 3/4"

All groups are at 100 yards.

I have lot of other Rugers and none of them are inaccurate.

They are plenty accurate, the .280 does only do that with one bullet, but the rest just took a little bore polishing to put a smile on my face.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
I like my m77 mk II SS boat paddle .338 WM, with most ammo i have used in it, i get around inch groups at 100 yards, but oddly enough 225 grain remington corelokts produced my best grouping, 3 shots in one ragged hole at 100 yards, i didnt measure it but it can easily be covered up with a nickel.

The trigger is a bit heavy, but it doesnt seem to be an issue for me, i have used it so much i am used to it, and it has little to no creep. It sure would look pretty with a laminate stock, but its hard to mess with a good thing.

Sure would be nice to have a .308 norma mag in a m77 mkII SS, what would really be nice is a .358 norma mag. :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Heck of a deal

I just acquired a M77 MK II in 338 win mag for 200 bucks. A friend of mine bought it and shot it once and that was enough for him , so now it's mine :D I can't wait to try it out , should be an awesome elk killer.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts