Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my wife a new Ruger new style Blackhawk .45LC, with a 4 and 5/8" barrel. The first time she shot it she fired 100 rounds loaded with a 255 grain bullet and 7.1 grains of Winchester 231 , it jammed at least 10 times. The base pin would move forward under recoil and then the cylinder would not rotate. Is this a common problem ? Is it a problem that will require sending the revolver back to Ruger , or is it something that I can fix myself.
Thanks Taz:confused:

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,453 Posts
Taz,

Had this happen once. The base pin latch was not getting a good bite in the notch toward the front of the base pin.

To verify if this is the case, do the following:

Carefully note the positon of the latch while the base pin is in the normal position in the gun.

Now, remove the ejector housing (1 screw) so that the base pin can be completely removed. When the base pin is all the way out of the gun, does the latch go farther into the frame? You'll be able to see how the latch should go all the way across the notch in the pin. Odds are that it can't because the notch in the pin is too shallow, or is not cut at exactly the right angle.

It is probably not worth the trouble and expense to send back to Ruger, in my opinion. If you can determine that this is the problem, then get a small round file and open the base pin notch bit by bit till the latch can close across it fully. You can 'paint' the base pin with a laundry marker or similar to try and figure out where the latch touches and metal needs to be removed.

Sounds complicated but if this is the problem, maybe a half hour job if you have the tools at hand.

You can also get aftermarket base pins from Belt Mountain. They are very good quality and about 20 bucks or so.

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
Taz,

I've shot Super Blackhawks for a number of years and never had that happen. But about three years ago I purchased two Vaquero .44mag. and both had the base pin problem you identified. I called Hamilton Bowen's shop and they said correcting that problem was one of the most common thing they did for Ruger Blackhawks. So I sent one to Bowen for "enhancement" via new base pin with set screw and one to Ruger for repair. Ruger sent it back to me with no changes and a red mimeographed card stating "make sure base pin is properly set before attempting to fire the revolver".

As Mike indicated, sending it to Ruger may not be productive and I've also heard good things about the Belt Mountain replacement pins.

Dan

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
You may also want to check that the two pieces of the "pin" that retain the base pin are screwed together all the way. If this has worked it's way loose, or was never tight, it lessens the spring pressure that holds the base pin in place. I'm only suggesting this because I've had it happen to me. Brownell's has a tool for installing and removing this pin easily without damaging it that may be a worthwhile investment if you have a few of these revolvers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys since the gun is only two days old im going to insist that ruger fix or replace it, it also has pits in the frame from what looks like slag inclusions in the casting. I ordered this gun so I didn't get a look at it in the store or I would not have accepted it.
Taz

·
Registered
227 Posts
One thing not mentioned, in addition to replacing the cylinder base pin with a Belt Mountain pin, replace the cylinder base pin lock spring with a stiffer Wolff spring. The Ruger lock springs are way to soft.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts