Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 15 Posts

· Banned
177 Posts
Hi MattC,

I also use your load of 40 grains RL-7 under 405 Rem (or 400 Speer) in my Marlin GG. That dang levergun may just be the most accurate gun I own. It'll put those 400 grainers into the same ragged hole all day long from 100 yds. Leverguns aren't supposed to be that accurate. ;) And that relatively mild load whacks the living daylights out of select members of the local whitetail herd. Blood trail? I'll say! Be careful not get it all over your dungarees. Go ahead, guys, and 'magnumize' your 45-70s if you want. There's nothing wrong with that, but I'll stick with the 1500-1600 fps loads for deer. Now, if I get to go moose or buffalo hunting one of these years, I'll be tempted to turn up the heat just a touch. ;) Ain't 45-70 great?!

Live well.

Hey, do you want to sell that NECG peep sight? I'll give it a good new home on my #1A 7x57, or my M77 35 Whelen. If so, email me at [email protected].

· Banned
177 Posts
Hi jackfish,

What about Hodgdon #27?

Hey, has anyone tried the new Reloder 10x in 45-70 yet? It should produce a bit higher velocities than RL7 given similar pressures. I think RL12 did that too but I never tried it before it was discontinued.

On a side note, I think I had every buck in the section under me last night. Didn't get a shot off though. My fault. Even with my short treestand bow I had to stand up because the buck was way close to my tree - almost straight down - and I didn't get stood up soon enough. Oh well, it was exciting, and I heard the grunt-snort-wheeze for the first time.

Live well, brothers.

1 - 2 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.