Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am leaning toward purchasing a No.1 Meium sporter in 45-70.   It only comes with a 22" barrel.  Since there isn't an action, it looks kinda short.  Is 22" enough to harness the potetnial of the 45-70?  

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a Ruger #1 in 45/70.It is an excellent rifle.I think that the 22 inch barrell is enough for good ballistics since the 45/70 does not rely on high velocity for stopping power.However I wish that the Ruger #1 rifles had longer barrels.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In my #3 Ruger I found that 22" is more than enough for total powder burn and is right easy carrying in the woods.Bought that rifle from a hunter who said it cost him his Elk!Shot seven times at the Elk and it didn't drop.Well he shot the Elk in the paunch at 150yards twice and I finished it off after six hours of tracking with a single shot from my 375H&H #1 Ruger.I sold him a Remington 700adl 7mmRem Mag with a K-4 Weaver.He came back the next year and got his Bull opener morning with a single shot from 275yards.He had trouble with the 45/70 handloads he shot because of the excessive recoil.I found it to be no problem but I didn't care for my dads 300WBY because the way it rocked me.To each his own.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I see that T/C has a 16 1/4" 45-70 barrel for their Contender carbine. Is 16" long enough to get acceptable velocity? Has anyone had any experience with one of these? It's ported to reduce recoil, which should help with this 6 lb rifle. It would make a handy brush rifle.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
22" is more than enough.  I hunt with a 15" Contender .45-70 and get 1890 fps with a Barnes 300 gr. X bullet.  It flattens deer like Thor's hammer.  In my No. 1 I am getting over 1800 fps with a 450 gr. LBT LFNGC bullet.  Oh yes, 22" is quite enough.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Greetings guys, I use a 45-70 with a 32" barrel, will use it for all hunting this year.

Working with loads bp/duplex using Lee 459-405-HB that I cast soft, this bullet is so accurate.  Also using the SAECO FN 500-gr.

Shoot these all day long with no ill effects on the should, metal butt plate, rifle wieght is 10 lbs.  Yes it is allot of rifle to tote around the woods, but most of my toting is on horseback anyway.  

The 22" barrel is an accurate length to shoot, many a game have fallen to the Ruger #1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts