Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Banned
2,430 Posts
Since I do hunt hogs and have killed them with my Ruger Old Army....Buy a Lee Conical (two cavity) mold for the Old Army (#458-220-1R)....mold your bullets out of wheelweights....size @ .457" and lube....more lube on top of seated bullets....38 grs of Clean Shot FFFg....CCI Mag #11 caps.....go hunting (assuming you know hog hunting)
Best Regards, James

· Banned
2,430 Posts
Well, I thought that post might get some flack, especially from the hand cannon boys. First, let me say, I don't read the "hog" mags. Second, I have friends that kill over a hundred deer (and or) hogs a year on crop damage control. My brother, Clay, wiped out (or brought under control) as a govt project hogs on one major wildlife management area. Therefore, my posts are based on actual results.
As far as distance....I consider hog hunting with a handgun strictly a close in deal....under 50 yards. It doesn't matter if the load is in a case or in the cylinder.....it's all the same! The load I mentioned compares with a 45 Long Colt (yes, I know that's not the correct name) with about 1000 fps. I have seen hogs killed with the same load in a 1st generation Colt SA. Controlibily (most important!)is well within the average shooters ability.
Now, anyone that has killed many real wild hogs (not feral pigs)should know a lung shot is worst of all unless hunting with dogs to keep them off your fanny. The hole will seal up and leave no blood signs. It certainly is asking for cut up legs if one is dealing with a prime boar. The only shots taken should be head and shoulder shots that will break the animal down...quick! On an incoming boar hog....shots aimed just over the ears into the top of the neck, angled down is best. With that bullet molded from wheelweights, or salvaged BTB bullet alloy, gives ample penetration within resonable handgun distance. Seating the bullet will be hard without a handgun stand. JCG

· Banned
2,430 Posts
Interesting indeed! We are now doing tests on the Uberti 1858 Remington revolver and the Uberti 1858 Remington Revolving Carbine!
We will be using 777, Some remainig Black Mag 3/XP, and Swiss FFFg in both firearms......using Hornady .454" round balls. We may in the future test the guns with a Kirst cylinder like we did with the ROA.
The tests are based on short range use in the swamps and as a handgun backup while ML hunting.
Most shooters that knock a pure lead round ball for close in work have never used them or done Gut-Pile-Analsys (sp) on game that was killed.
We see all manner of hype in the movies, etc.....like a 44 henry killing a Buff (Dances with Wolf) at a silly range. We also see Elk killed with a 50 Hawken in the J. Johnson movie at quite a distance.
Frank Forrester, writing in 1838, had some interesting comments about ball size for big game. He stated that a .600" rifle was best, but did comment about large bore hardguns for backup.
The 45 caliber percusson handguns will do fine within practical handgun distances!
Regards, James

· Banned
2,430 Posts
I assume you are talking about conicals? Or the Kirst cylinder? I do not think I will even buy a Kirst for the 1858's as I have one for the ROA's.
MY main objective is to satisfy myself that this popular replica can be used as a hunting backup when ML hunting....and what will the longer barrel on the carbine do?
My first choice is the ROA, but they are getting scarce....Regards, James

· Banned
2,430 Posts
As the poster suggests, I checked the next chamber with the forcing cone in the Remington. Yes it is very close indeed compared to the ROA.
As of yet, I do not know for sure if this will affect anything......except have a hard lube over the ball......James

· Banned
2,430 Posts
I do not know what to say about the velocity I got with 28.5 grs (volume setting) of Triple 7????
Today I tested the same load against gallon jugs of water (6" thick). I shot two at first and got complete penetration. Then went to 3 jugs for a total of 18" of water and six thickness of plastic skin...complete penetration. The jugs were set at the same distance I had had the chrono.
This leads me to think that the load would be fine for a bacjup gun when ML hunting.
Regards, James

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.