Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to plinking and was wondering if there was any big performance/reliability differences between a S&W and Ruger. I'm looking at getting a .22LR semi-auto. Any input and help is appreciated. Thanks

Take it easy

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,226 Posts
Haven't shot any S&W autos for a while. So my view is pretty one-sided.

.22:

Love my ruger 22/45 auto. Basically the Ruger Mark II action, with a different grip frame that is supposed to feel like a Colt 1911. I suppose it's reasonable close. Didn't buy it for that reason, just happened to find it used at a reasonable price. Bull barrel, stainless (you can also get them blued with a variety of barrel lengths and contours), and quite accurate. A cottontail rabbit inside of 50 yards is in serious danger. Shot one rattlesnake with it.... tastes like alligator....

For the money, impossible to beat in my opinion. New ones between $200 and $300, for the most part. Shoots well with CCI Mini-Mags, haven't tried any 'real' match ammo but frankly don't feel the need to.

Center-fire:

My P90 (.45 ACP) will feed an empty case. Really. Don't know how they get more reliable than that. Shot some bowling pins with it for a while. Had a lot of fun, what more can you say? Working on exterminating a pig with it. Loaded up some 255gr. SWCs to just under 900fps, gun handles them fine.

Good luck with your future purchases.....

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I was looking at those 2 b/c they're on sale right now at local Academy. They're pretty close in price, but I wanted to know if there's any real discernable performance advantage for one or the other. I guess I'll just have to see which is more comfortable and go from there. Thanks again for the help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts