Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a .44 mag for hunting and am considering either a Ruger or a Taurus. I have shot examples of both in .357 mag and liked them both and feel that they are both good guns. I am looking for any opinions or feedback on which one would be the best buy. Thanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
never buy taurus. my cousin bought a 22 rifle from them and the barrel was bent, then he bought a pistol from them and if fired when the safety was on. he called and they didnt even care. ruger is a great buy either way

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've already got a Ruger GP-100 in 357mag and I love it so I was thinking of a Ruger super redhawk. Got to shoot one about a year ago and haven't been able to stop thinking about it since. I don't buy and trade lots of guns so when I buy something I want to make sure that I will like it as much a year from now as the day I got it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Have zero dealings with T. Have owned many Rugers. They have all performed flawlessly. I have called for parts and their customer service is awsome.

·
Registered
662 Posts
My experience with Taurus is limited (one gun) but adequate to ensure that there'll never be another Taurus in my safe.

Three Rugers at the moment, all flawless.

Guess which way I'd go?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Everyone sure seems to hate Taurus, lol. I have had 2 Taurus revolvers (model 65 .357 and model 85 ultra lite .38) for a couple of years now, and have never had any trouble. I cant say about the customer service as I have never needed to call.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I have two Taurus revolvers, a Mod 66 and a Taurus /Rossi 972. Haven't had ony issues with the 66. The 972 sideplate screw loosened and fell out the first time out at the range. (and dissapeared) Other than that it's not a bad gun

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Taurus does make okay guns for their purposes. Ruger makes excellent guns for their purposes. I have also only owned one Taurus and that is how its going to stay. I own more than 40 Rugers and I'm content with them. If you have any doubt, there is a thread about a cracked barrel on a Super Black Hawk from a guy using way to hot handloads. Ruger replaced the barrel free of charge, no questions asked.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,268 Posts
I own both a Taurus Tracker and Ruger Blackhawk in 44 mag and I like each one. I use them for two different purposes though. The Tracker is a five shot lightweight revolver that is easy to carry but is quite a handful with full house 44 mag loads. The Ruger is a heavy gun that will digest just about anything you want to put in it. Both are well made guns and I have not had a bit of trouble out of either. I use the Taurus as a walking around gun and the Ruger as a hunting gun. I have heard horry stories about Taurus guns but I have two of them and shoot them as much as I do my others. Neither has malfunctioned or experienced any type of failure.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Ruger for shure...Taurus' customer serevice is atrocious. I even wrote their President complaining about my situation and never even got a form letter back.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've got or had seven Rugers, the latest one I screwed up and a small spring flew across the shop, lost, Ruger customer service was fast, free, and I now have TWO of them, one in the gun and one taped to the case. I have never experienced any manufacturing defect or gun failure in my Rugers. Rugers are also manufactured in the United States of America! 'nuf said?

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
I am a RUGER FAN!!! The wife purchsed 2 new in box Taurus pistols last summer and it was a train wreck right from the very first shot out the barrel of both pistols. Customer service for this company SUCKS BIG TIME. Need I say more folks :eek: :(

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Two Taurus revolvers, one is a poster child for light primmer strikes, the other won't hold sight for more than 1 1/2 cylinder of firing, the genuine Taurus mount comes loose after 7 or 8 shots, junk!
Both of my Ruger revolvers have never missed a shot from day one, I never wonder if they will fire or if my shot will be four feet to the left!
Do your self a favor and buy an American revolver, not a sub standard one from Brazil.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guess that settles it. I will save a little more and go with the Ruger. Not looking for a carry gun as I have enough of those already. Looking for a solid, reliable hunting weapon. Thanks for all of the input, it has helped a lot.

·
Registered
273 Posts
If I had to choose a factory gun to hunt with in a rifle it would be a Ruger 77 stainless in .338 and if I had to choose a revolver it would be a Ruger stainless SB 44 mag. hands down. They are a working mans gun. There are some that are more accurate but none that can say they are more durable.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts