Shooters Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I acquired this rifle 2 days ago and was very pleased with the balance, pointability and strength. It also seems lighter than earlier versions.I have the optional ghost ring sights, and they are very well thought out, with target acquisition about as fast as it can get.

Speer Lawman 155 gr ammo averaged 1445 fps from the 16 inch bbl, about 300 fps faster than my Sig 229 with 3.7 inch bbl. Thats 720 FP, and deceptively formidable given the very light recoil in a 6 lb rifle 34 inches in length.

The classic powder for the 40 is Hodgdon's Universal Clays, but I thought the 16 inch bbl would do better with a slower, dense powder so I tried their Longshot powder, sticking to the manual regarding max charges. Longshot easily drives 155 Gold Dots 1640 fps with no signs of high pressure - this is 450 fps faster than the same load from my Sig 229 and 925 FP. Speer 180 Gold dots average 1415 fps with Longshot...certainly 50 yds deer medicine.Its really about what you would get from a 41 Mag in a 6 inch revolver, but its a 10 shot, clip fed semi auto with less than 5 FP of free recoil.

This little rifle far exceeded my expectations in the power department, and would be outstanding for police and security work, especially if coupled with a Ruger 40 side arm...they use the same magazine. Definitely competition for a 16 inch 223 as an entry weapon - the energies are quite close, but the 40 has 44% more knock down authority and will breeze through walls, doors and auto glass. FMJs have a big enough cross section and meplat to do the job, if more penetration is needed.

Zeroed at 50 yds, its point of impact is -3.0 inches at 100 yds, still giving 500 FP at that range, slightly more than the 40 from a pistol at the muzzle.

The receiver is set up for the Ruger bases and rings, so a small 4X scope is all one needs for varmints.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts