Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it is because it is my first semi-auto, but, I am having problems and it looks like no one else has posted about it. So...

The dealer said to clean it before use, but, I am stuck. I have the slide lock pried out like they said to (they said pull - just couldn't do it - even with the marks lined up) so it pulled away from the slide, but, I can not get the slide all the way forward like they say in the owner's manual.

The other thing, now that I pushed the ejector lever down and forward, how, do I get it back into position so I can at least get a magazine back in? I do not see that mentioned in the book and I do not want to force anything.

I did not have problems doing the XD-40 at my gun safety lesson, I figure this has to be something simple I am just not seeing. :confused:

At least it looks nice sitting there :D

·
Banned
484 Posts
To answer your second question first, to push the ejector back, just insert a magazine. That is the simple and approved method.

Regarding getting the slide off, are you sure that the slide stop is pulled all the way out? The slide should come off if it is. As I recall the disassembly procedure, you are supposed to push the ejector plate forward prior to pulling the slide stop out. Perhaps you reversed the order.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the advice.

Well, the problem was 1st the manual was wrong. You have to remove the slide lock lever to remove the slide, it must only apply to the other Ruger models listed in the book.

The main problem was I pulled the ejector lever forward too much and it came off it's pivot. I had to press it down further while lifting up a piece of metal that has the fulcrum at the bottom (for lack of a better description) that it swivels in. Then I was able to get the magazine back it.

Can't wait to shoot it tomorrow!

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
We all struggle with the unknown of field stripping a new , to us, firearm. Just have to get the perceived mystery to go away and it is smooth sailing after that.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, now I think I can do it with my eyes closed. I have done it a few times now just so I can do it quickly if I needed to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts