Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Puma M92 in the trapper configuration (16 inch barrel). I want to pair this with a revolver. I've decided on a Ruger revolver of course in .44 mag. However I cant decide if I should go with a Super Redhawk with a 7.5 inch barrel, a Redhawk with a 7.5, 5.5 or a 4.2 inch. Any suggestions on variation would be much appriciated. I will be using this as a back up pistol also sometimes at a primary hunting pistol. I kinda want an all around pistol thats why im leaning to the 5.5 inch barreld redhawk.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have a Puma M92 in the trapper configuration (16 inch barrel). I want to pair this with a revolver. I've decided on a Ruger revolver of course in .44 mag. However I cant decide if I should go with a Super Redhawk with a 7.5 inch barrel, a Redhawk with a 7.5, 5.5 or a 4.2 inch. Any suggestions on variation would be much appriciated. I will be using this as a back up pistol also sometimes at a primary hunting pistol. I kinda want an all around pistol thats why im leaning to the 5.5 inch barreld redhawk.

Zapzoo,

For transperancy's sake I have not used the Super Redhawk, but seeing that it is a Ruger, it should be a great gun.

I have the Redhawk .44 mag with a 7.5" barrel. It is an excellent gun to use. It will do everything you are looking for. The 3 barrel lengths make it a difficult decision to make. I got mine as a hunting gun. If it was me looking to use one as a back up and sometimes as a primary hunting gun I'd probably go with the 5.5 " barrel. I would suggest you get a Pachmyr recoil grip for is. I use one on mine and it helps with the recoil.

This is just my opinion. I'm sure others would have some good perspectives on your problem. What I'd like to get for my self is that 4.2" as a carry gun for defence while iI'm out in the woods. I've got a Marlin Cowboy rifle in .44 mag and a 24" barrel that I would be using for hunting.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,237 Posts
I have a Marlin - Ruger 44 mag combo also and love it. I use the Ruger Blackhawk with a 4 5/8 inch barrel. I have had longer barrel revolvers but just didn't care for them as they are not easy for me to carry.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a Super Rdehawk 44 Mag. and it has been very reliable. I have fun shooting the mags. and my girl friend shoots the specials. I think that it would make a good hunting handgun. Good luck and have fun.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,172 Posts
I have a Redhawk with a 5.5" barrel and would not want to carry anything longer in the field. Exception would be if I just needed the sight radius for accuracy.

My revolver hunting started out with Blackhawks and Bisleys in 7.5" barrels, but let me tell you that I sure was glad to see Ruger come out with Bisleys with shorter barrels. The 5.5" guns go in the field, the longer ones mostly stay home. About the only one that ever goes out with a longer barrel is my .500 JRH, with a 6.5" barrel. And I've given serious consideration to having an inch cut off that one.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I have both a 5.5" and 4" Redhawks in 44 mag. The 5.5 is for hunting, and the 4 is for back up. If I had a choice of only one, it would be the 5.5". In my mind it is the perfect balance for all things considered.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I have both a 5.5" and 4" Redhawks in 44 mag. The 5.5 is for hunting, and the 4 is for back up. If I had a choice of only one, it would be the 5.5". In my mind it is the perfect balance for all things considered.
MY feelings also Flat Top. I f you know your Redhawks you also know you've got a longer cylinder that lets you seat bullets out further for more powder capacity or less pressure if you want . I've shot super Redhawks in 480 and 44 and they're accurate and tame recoil a lot-----but they're too heavy too pack around!:eek: Brian smith has a good article in the latest Handloader about + p loads for Redhawks, good read. Springs a commin-----getting the old v-twin road ready!:)

·
Banned
377 Posts
I have a Redhawk with a 5.5" barrel and would not want to carry anything longer in the field. Exception would be if I just needed the sight radius for accuracy.

My revolver hunting started out with Blackhawks and Bisleys in 7.5" barrels, but let me tell you that I sure was glad to see Ruger come out with Bisleys with shorter barrels. The 5.5" guns go in the field, the longer ones mostly stay home. About the only one that ever goes out with a longer barrel is my .500 JRH, with a 6.5" barrel. And I've given serious consideration to having an inch cut off that one.
DITTO for me! Long barrels can be difficult to unholster. Use the long barrels for primary battery where you will already have it in hand when the game appears. Some states have barrel length requirements for hunting handguns. In NC it's 5.5" to use as primary battery. Since I don't shoot in bullseye target competition anymore all my Rugers are 5.5 inches.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Gunpa; You are correct on all points! I do like that long cylinder. We have been working with heavyweight bullets in the long Redhawk cylinder and have been surprised by some of our results! We hope to have testing completed by the end of this year, and I think the results are going to surprise many shooters! As a teaser: How about a Redhawk load that penetrates like a 45-70, 525 grain bullet at 1550!!!............Spring is here, and I have been on the road already. I ride as much as possible during the winter (because my summers are tied up working), but, all I need to do is change over to summer weight lube and I am good to go when the time permits!!! "The wind in my face...the bugs in my teeth"...Yahoo!!!! LOL!

·
Banned
484 Posts
Since you are looking to "pair" the revolver with your rifle, my vote is for a lighter and easier to carry revolver. I have a Super Redhawk and it is a great revolver, especially for use with a scope, but it is HEAVY. If I were you, I'd be getting a standard Redhawk with a 5.5 inch or shorter barrel.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I swapped my 7 1/2" SBH, when the 5 1/2" model became available. I wish I had waited for a 4 5/8" model. The Redhawk is just plain larger than I want, the Super Redhawk would be OK, if I had a gunbearer to carry it for me :)

It's all about portability. If I was going to hunt with a handgun, I'd have a 7.5" SBH, and leave the rifle home. If I planned to hunt with the rifle, I'd leave any handgun home, except for maybe my P22.

·
Banned
637 Posts
I bought a 7.5” Redhawk when they first came out. It’s a very comfortable gun to shoot but it was just too large and heavy for me to carry. I later got a 4” 629 and sometime later sold the Redhawk.

Since then, I wanted something more comfortable to shoot than the 629 and seriously considered getting another Redhawk with the 5.5” barrel. Instead, I bought a 7.5” Bisley. It’s lighter than the Redhawk and even more comfortable to shoot. In a Mernickle crossdraw holster, it makes a nice carry gun for hunting.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Tman; I had a 5.5 inch SBH, and after years of use, it needed a face lift. I just modified the gun to what I wanted in a single action sidearm. With the short 4" barrel and Birds Head grip frame the SBH is now compact, lighter, and balances better than any handgun I have ever held. Here is a photo of my SBH and matching knife.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Gunpa; You are correct on all points! I do like that long cylinder. We have been working with heavyweight bullets in the long Redhawk cylinder and have been surprised by some of our results! We hope to have testing completed by the end of this year, and I think the results are going to surprise many shooters! As a teaser: How about a Redhawk load that penetrates like a 45-70, 525 grain bullet at 1550!!!............Spring is here, and I have been on the road already. I ride as much as possible during the winter (because my summers are tied up working), but, all I need to do is change over to summer weight lube and I am good to go when the time permits!!! "The wind in my face...the bugs in my teeth"...Yahoo!!!! LOL!
I was incorrect on one point. I called Brian Pearce Brian Smith-----DUH:confused: Spring is still just teasing us here so my rides have been short ,cold , but bug free! Ride safe Flat Top!!:D

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Zap,

I think you'll like the Redhawk in 5.5".
Ive got a Puma M92 in .45 Colt and A Redhawk 5.5, a Bisley Vaquero 5.5", a Blackhawk in 4 5/8ths and one in 7.5 and a Birdshead Vaquero 4 5/8ths. The lightest one is the shorty Blackhawkand the heaviest is either the 7.5 stainless Blackhawk or the 5.5 Bisley Vaquero but most likely the 5.5 Redhawk just by how it feels in hand.

The shorter barrels carry better and I really like the 5.5 inch barrel as a good balance of weight and sight radius. I will say I really like the 7.5" Blackhawk because it shoots so nicely with the longer barrel, but it is long overall.

So, yeah, I think you'll like your choice. Tell us how it goes?

·
Banned
278 Posts
Tman; I had a 5.5 inch SBH, and after years of use, it needed a face lift. I just modified the gun to what I wanted in a single action sidearm. With the short 4" barrel and Birds Head grip frame the SBH is now compact, lighter, and balances better than any handgun I have ever held. Here is a photo of my SBH and matching knife.
I have a 4 5/8 SBH and 3 Birds Head Vaqueros. One can donate a Birds Head grip frame. The grip frame from the SBH could be used to make a Sheriff's model Vaquero. I have been toying with this idea for a long time but the picture of your conversion is just what I needed to make the leap. I was thinking of a fiberoptic front sight and a U shaped rear blade. I have the unfluted cylinder but it doesn't add that much weight compared to a fluted one. Anyone know if this is correct?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.