Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
68 Posts
I have several Ruger Single actions including A super blackhawk with a 10.5" barrel Which I use in CAS shoots.

I wear it in a shoulder holster and shoot very well with it. The long barrel means that the front sight is placed in the focal plane of my tired old eyes.

Five years of CAS and I can't recall one problem and it is still factory tight

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
I've always shot the Super Blackhawk and Blackhawk and been very impressed with their performance. Because much of my shooting is benchrest for load development, and I wanted the capability to use elongated cartridges, I purchased a Super Redhawk and had Mag-Na-Port perform an action job and rifle porting on the 9.5" barrel. The porting didn't reduce the felt recoil (compared it to an unported of identical configuration) but it did reduce the barrel rise. While I was certainly impressed with it's construction, it is built like a tank, I never was able to enjoy the size of the darn thing. Sometimes I thought I ought to put wheels on it and use it as a cannon. The handling charateristics, for me, just didn't work out. I replaced it with a custom 5-shot .45LC that will handle the elongated cartridges and hotter than normal loads and have been pleased.

Dan

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've shot a Super Blackhawk in 44mag with a 10.5" barrel. That one made me bleed, until we put those ugly Pachmyrs on it. My Bisley in 45 LC shoot a bigger load with a 5.5" barrel and feels fine!

One thing missing is the impact to felt recoil that the round trigger guard has over the pointed trigger guard.

Ohh and the Redhawks are all go and no show. They are ugly. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had super black hawks with square trigger guards. UGH Now I have two with round trigger guards. Much better. Shoot a variety of 44 loads, both mag and special. I find myself shooting more specials than mags these days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts