Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a brand new Ruger stainless steel Bisley in .45 Colt with 5.5" barrel. Want packable "hand cannon" for feral hogs and fly fishing companion in Montana. Understand that converting to a 5-shot cylinder and some tweaking by a good smith is worth the &#36500. In talking with one, I was told that it could be chambered to also use the .454 Casull for hunting. I am NOT a handloader and like the .45 Colt Buffalo Bore 325/1325 load. Can the Bisley handle the .454 with commercial rounds?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,446 Posts
It's been done - no doubt it can be made to work, with a 5-shot cylinder.

But..... have you shot a .454 Casull (in any gun)???

Once upon a time, I was all hot to get a custom 5-shot conversion on a Ruger.  Then, I started fooling around with 300 grain bullets at 1200fps... and discovered that was just about all the recoil I could handle.  So no need for the 5-shot .45 Colt or Casull-level rounds.

Anyway... if you can stand the recoil, why not.  For what it's worth the .45 Colt does pretty well on hogs with 300+ grain bullets at "only" 1200fps.  Plenty of thump.

Good luck whichever route you take.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike!

Yes, I have fired the .454 in a larger frame Super Redhawk that weighed a ton and was impresed with the hotter loads but WAY TOO NOISY.  I suspect that it would be a handfull in the smaller Bisley.
I have the utmost respect for the "old" .45 Colt and think that whatever I run into should be okay with the 325 gr/1325 fps Buffalo Bore Ammo.
I wonder now if the Bisley can stay in 6 shot configuration and still use the hotter loads? I have heard a lot said about the Ruger "mass" and wonder if the 5 shot conversion really is getting me as much as I think? But then again, I want to get it "slicked up" as well...
I have spoken to the Phillips & Rogers folks and they seem to be my best bet.  Do you know anyone on the East Coast (i'm in Maryland) that does these conversions also?
Appreciate the information!
Good Luck!
Cliff

·
Registered
35 Posts
Cliff,

There are several Gunsmiths that can help you out -

Hamilton Bowen is in Tenessee, but you will pay for the work (he is known for the quality of his work).  A full custom 5 Shot conversion will probably cast several hundred dollars more than a brand new Freedom Arms Casull, but I doubt anyone who has spent the money for one is complaining.

David Clements is in Mississippi and his prices are very reasonable, but certainly the work is not cheap.  He built my 5 Shot 45 Colt.

The buffalo Bore ammo will probably be just fine in the Bisley as is, but if you want to have a real nice gun, the conversions are really nice.  

I chose the 45, because I wanted to use 325 grain bullets, and I can get bullet moulds that make this combination very potent.  I would assume that the performance with the 325 LBT LFN and a max load of H110 is similar to a 454 Casull.

Good luck with what ever you choose.

5 Shot

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks 5 Shot!
I am leaning towards the 5 shot conversion and some "slick" work for .45 Colt. Suspect that the 325 gr. Buffalo Bore load is enough. Do you hunt with yours? If so, what do you use on white tails? The 325 sounds like it would stop most things in the lower 48..
Thanks again!
Cliff

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,446 Posts
Cliff, the Buffalo Bore .45 Colt loads are definitely OK for the Ruger.  Send a note to them to confirm if you like, the guy running the place (Tim Sundles) is pretty friendly in my experience.

That is a pretty potent load and if you shoot a few, you'll probably know right away if you want to go any higher.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mike!

I am ordering the 325 gr./1325 fps Buffalo Bore for myself as a Christmas present from my wife! She said that we were not spending ALL our money on the grandchildren this year! I am a lucky man!

I appreciate your input and am still going ahead with the 5-shot upgrade and staying with the .45 Colt.

Thanks again for everything and have a great holiday!

Cliff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts