Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new Ruger super redhawk in .454 Casull on 08/12/02. I've only fired about 200 rounds of full power ammunition through it and it already shows some significant cutting of the top strap. Is this normal wear for this revolver , or is there something wrong with it ?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I am pushing 3000 rounds through mine, most with max loads of H110. I thought I was suffering from flame cutting, but a gunsmith type told me I was looking at machining marks I probably hadn't noticed before. If you are worried, call Ruger. Mine is still as accurate, and tight in the lockup as the day my wife bought it for me. Sadly, it is being neglected since the arrival of the Accusport Ruger Bisley in 45 Colt 5 1/2" barrel and stainless steel, my but it rides nice, and shoots great to boot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flame cutting.

This was a straight gouge all the way across the top strap even with the cylinder gap, deep enough to feel with your finger. I took it back to the gun shop where I bought it and they said the couldn't figure it out. They decided to send it back to ruger to fix or replace.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Taz:
I'm not the best qualified to answer your question, but here goes. I picked up a well used S&W 28-2 (.357 Magnum) a couple of years ago and it has a noticable flame cut like you describe. There's a general consensus that it's going to happen with any magnum revolver, and that the rate of cutting drops to a negligible level after enough shooting. I've never heard of it getting bad enough to make a revolver unsafe to fire. In other words, don't worry about it.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
36 Posts
I use the same SBH. After running about 2000 rounds through it I can see none of the flame cutting you mention. All I see is just a little lead-colored smudge in the top strap opposite the clynder gap. The load I mostly use is 31.0 gr of winchester 296 behind a 300gr lead cast bullet.

I would contact Ruger costomer support -- you deserve better performance for you money!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I notice on the SperRedHawk 454 Casull when purchesed had the same markings on the top strap, It looks like this was machining marks, Rugers not known to be the greatest at there finishing work;) but they are built like a tank:) and will last a life time.They will take a beeting and keep on shooting. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Flame cutting.

Thanks guys
I did send it back to Ruger , they said there was nothing wrong with it . The cutting must have been my imagination , yea right! Ruger said they were going to send it back, and I would have it by friday. Friday came and went and no revolver. I called Ruger back and was informed that it was being refinished at no cost to me. The only thing is there was nothing wrong with the finish when I sent it to them , so I'm not real sure what they are doing. I'll let you know how this soap opera turns out.
Taz

·
Banned
4 Posts
Just a little history. The 357 Maximum was dropped by Ruger due to the flame cutting. Though through time people have found that the cutting was minamal and quit at a certain depth and it was so small a cut it never hurt anything. Wish they would bring back the 357SRM.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
O.K. I heard of this " flame cutting " before on another board or maybe it was here, anyway if memory servres me right that individual wrote Ruger, sent the gun back -they fire 1000 round test and found that the flame cutting did exist but stopped at a certain point and didn't present a safety problem what so ever, after all that they sent him a new firearm. I have never heard of a pistol failure because of "Flame cutting" Has anyone really seen one fail for this?

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Flame cutting can and will produce visible wear on a revolver. As others have said, it typically is noticed within the first several hundred rounds and stops after that. I have never heard of a revolver that suffered a failure from this.

The biggest uproar about this that I can recall was the Ruger SRM in .357 Maximum. Between the flame cutting non-issue and accelerated forcing cone wear it spelled the death of this revolver. I have one that is NIB and you can see minor flame cutting from the test firing that was performed at the factory. I would guess that testing was limited to 6 rounds but don't know that for a fact.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just my two pennies worth...

I have installed muzzle brakes on, in excess of 100 Ruger Super RedHawks in 454 Casull, in the last 4 months and I have never seen such bad "erosion" on any handgun in my life! The outside of the forcing cone, on up to and including a couple of the threads inside the receiver on the barrel itself, has erosion and pitting that is up to .015 to .020 deep! These are also the only guns that I am aware of that Ruger uses RED LOC-TITE on the threads when it screws the barrel to the receiver. An "insider" at Ruger, who shall remain nameless, said that the reason they used the red loc-tite was to try and "slow down" the erosion that is being done by such a high intensity, high pressure cartridge....

As far as flame cutting goes, I am still shooting a 7 1/2 inch stainless Super Blackhawk 44 magnum with Sierra 180 grain JHP bullets and this handgun has just passed the 100,000 round mark with the same barrel and frame! It has needed a little work done to it, like an over size cylinder pin and a new ejector rod and housing but, that is about it. I did put a muzzle brake on it and did a trigger job but that is about all the work this gun has had on it...besides adding a custom base and scope. I just got it out and measured the area where the "flame cutting" is present and after 100,000 rounds, that area measures .018 less than the rest. So after that many rounds, .018 is not bad at all....

I might also mention that the barrel is the ORIGINAL barrel that came on the gun when I bought it new and it will still keep 6-shots inside a three inch circle at 100 yards, off sand bags....

DAVID

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,023 Posts
Sounds like Ruger needs to revisit their design on this particular handgun, David.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Kdub,

that was kinda my thought to, Sir....

One thing that I forgot to mention on my last post, is that besides installing muzzle brakes on these barrels, the barrel is also screwed in one complete turn, forcing cone recut and set up with a .007 clearance, "barrel to cylinder gap", which HAS cut down on the flame cutting of the top strap....

DAVID

·
Banned
4 Posts
Kdub
It isn't so much the design of the revolver but the longer round it is shooting. It is a higher pressure round and it takes longer to burn all the powder. All of the revolvers that shoot the longer rounds get this to one extent or another. Even the Freedom Arms 454 has flame cutting. That was why they designed the replacable forcing cone for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts