Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a SBH with a Bisley grip, the other day I was shooting off the bench the ejector housing screw broke off and everything went flying. Found all the parts and even got the broken screw out of the barrel. Look at everything, it looked allright accept the ejector housing was missing. So I continue shooting my group, shot the fifth round and couldn't remember if I had five or six rounds in. So I aimed and shot a empty cylinder, went to unload the cylinder would not turn. The firing pin was sticking out hitting the case. Got it apart, clean it all up tried it at dry firing stuck firing pin. It works on loaded rounds fine, but fired cases it sticks. The parts from Ruger are inexpensive, are they difficult to install. As I'm getting a new housing screw from them I thought I get the firing pin and spring. By the way anyone ever have the same illness?  Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
For all your effort that you would go through, just send that thing back to Ruger. On the 2 occasions I've had to send something back to them, I've gotten both back in less than two weeks. Mark

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hi Patrick,
Yup... I've been shooting SBH's for 15 years now and just 2 months ago had the ejector housing screw let go and things went flying.  First time ever.  Your sticky firing pin problem is something else all together.  While I had a local gunsmith fix my problem (no firing pin trouble), If I were you, I'd send the gun back to Ruger.  Somthing has to be very wrong to get a firing pin to stick in a SBH.  It's time for the pro's.

Just as an aside, what load were you shooting when the firing pin started sticking.  Is there any chance the primers were flowing?  

Hope this helps and please let us know how everything works out for you.

God bless...................  Bill M

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Bill M; the load that I was using was Beartooth 265 WFNGC (.432) WLP primers and Win 296  22.5grs. Seeing that I don't have any gunsmiths in the area it will be going back to Bill Ruger.  

·
Registered
5 Posts
Patrick- I also had an ejector housing screw shear while shooting. Unfortunatly a gunsmith was required to extract the screw-it broke "cleanly" at barrel level and left me nothing to grab onto.I had replaced the aluminum housings on all of my SBHs with steel parts-wondered if the increased weight was the cause(no problems with the other Supers though). I guess a Ruger is only as strong as its screws!

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts

Albeit a little more expensive, when I had the aluminum housing replaced with steel, I also had the new housing held in place by pins. The screw is still used to attach the housing to the barrel, but the pins handle the recoil from the heavy loads.

Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
DOK-A pinned ejector housing?-interesting-how and where on your revolver was this done?Read somewhere that Rugers once used rejected arrow shafts for housings-I dont mind aluminum holding my favorite beverages,but on my guns-NO THANKS!

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts

Jim Stroh (Alpha Precision) is one of the premier gunsmiths working on the Rugers and can be found
at the following web site:

http://www.angelfire.com/ga/alphaprecision/

His "Price List of Services Offered" is a pretty complete
listing -- item 636 is the steel ejector housing with double dowel pinning.

His web site also has a "Message" component for questions which Jim answers each evening. Many of the questions are interesting, but the one I remember best is the gentleman that wanted to send his blued gun in and have Jim convert it to stainless steel -- not plate it, convert it to solid stainless :)

Dan

(Edited by DOK at 7:21 pm on Sep. 5, 2001)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have seen more than a few ejector housing screws sheared off, they always seem to be SBH's, and all of the ones I have seen have been the stainless version. I had occasion to examine one, where the screw was about to let go, I determined that the screw had backed out just enough for it to get bashed around, and it to would have sheared off. I have a blued SBH, and since I replaced the base pin with a belt mtn lock screw one(to stop it from migrating), I have to tighten the ejector housing screw about every 3rd time to the range. I have also had loosening problem with the screw on my Ruger #1's lever after heavy loads are fires, cured with a drop of loctite. Haven't ever seen your firing pin problem before.
Dave Beeman

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,314 Posts
I just gotta add, sometimes our 'improvements' make things worse!

The aluminum ejector housings, ugly though they may be, are significantly lighter than steel and put much less stress on the screw when you light off a big one.

Personally, I'd advise Loctite on screws..... works for me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got my SBH back today (by the way I had to reregister again) after about eight weeks. They repaired the firing pin, the ejector housing screw and internal components as needed. They also replaced the barrel! I haven't gotten a chance to slug the barrel yet, all I can think of all the fire lapping rounds I had to do on the old barrel.(250rounds) I haven't called Ruger yet to ask why they replaced the barrel. Maybe they didn't like the warning statement removed off the barrel. The action is still nice and smooth, thank God for that. Maybe I'll get a chance to shoot after work tomorrow.  God Bless Patrick Foley

·
Registered
12 Posts
Last fall I had a problem with a sticky firing pin in my SBH. I got the gun back from Bill Ruger I didn't like how it shot. So, I sent it to David Clements for some work. Great Man to do bussiness with, shoots good. Guest what, the firing pin is sticking again. I don't what to send it back to Ruger afraid of them messing up the custom work. Can it be fixed or do I let somebody else worry about?  
  Dissapointed in Bill Ruger Products, Patrick Foley

1 - 12 of 12 Posts